Specialty Gardening: Root pouches anyone?, 3 by kevcarr59

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright kevcarr59

In reply to: Root pouches anyone?

Forum: Specialty Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Root pouches anyone?
kevcarr59 wrote:
Lisa~ I've finally got the pics of the 1 & 2 gallon Brown Boxer pots with the tomatoes in them. They are looking pretty good, since they've been outside uncovered the last 2 weeks. With those last cold fronts in March, when it got down to the high 30's, I moved them into the workshop, but doing that every other day got tiring, so I just left them outside. Leaving the middle of next month made this year's garden more of a test to see what is going to be in store for next year.

I got one 5 gallon Boxer Brown as a sample from the company, but I wouldn't use it except for multiple plants. I did the same thing with the 3 gallon pots with okra going in them. Once I get to Florida I plan on starting over, with the rest of the pots I purchased, with hopefully about 5 months of growing season left. Will be real curious to see how the cold weather plants do in these fabric pots. I've never tried Brussel's Sprouts or brocolli, so that will be a learning experience.

#1, 2... The 9 tomato plants.. 1 gallon pots with San Marzano, Cherokee Purple, and a Burpee Superbeefsteak. The rest are 2 gallon pots with various heirloom tomatoes. Black Krim, New Big Dwarf, San Marzano Redorta, Mortgage Lifter, Aunt Ruby's German Green... to name a few....

#3,4... The scawny-looking okra in the 1 & 3 gallon pots.. Mostly Hill Country Red, Stewart's Zeebest, and Burgundy Okra. Some pods are starting to form, but very few leaves. Will be adding some liquid fertilizer this week...

#5... 5 gallon Square Roots pot with 5 Homemade Pickle Cucumbers that will summer vacation at our friends garden. She has the raised bed we built last month and her plants are doing pretty good. Will have to see how her zucchini & squash are doing...