Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads for the novice and addict. April 2013, 3 by bromishy

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright bromishy

In reply to: Bromeliads for the novice and addict. April 2013

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads for the novice and addict. April 2013
bromishy wrote:
Hi Everyone!

Yeah it’s the weekend!!!

Hi Shirley I hope you don’t get too much rain so you can enjoy time out in the garden and with your broms.

Shirley I am not too sure which brom you are asking about in my Pic 5 posted yesterday (top right-hand edge) of the broms in a circle? If it is Pic 4 then the brom you are asking about is Neo’ ‘Gray Nurse’? Pleased to hear you liked the new brom garden under the avocado tree, not much grows under there grass wise but since I have cut a lot of the lower branches so I think the grass will be encouraged to grow back but I may need to give it a bit of a helping hand. The annoying part is when it rains heavy dirt and grit splashes up against the underside of the broms, coats the outside of the pots so does not look very nice and I have to wash it off, so the sooner I can get grass growing under there the better otherwise I might need to pebble the whole area maybe, undecided yet?

Shirley / Sue sincere apologies for getting you both mixed up yesterday with Sue’s thread that I thought was Shirley’s thread, here I was asking Sue where she was when I should have been asking where Shirley was – too funny – I must have been well and truly off with the fairies yesterday, I know I was really tired after having a HUGE day at work and my attention span was just not there clearly given my confusion.

Shirley nice pics of your Ae. ‘Mirlo’ and Neo’ ‘Bobs Pride’; does ‘Bobs Pride’ grow very big?

Hi Bree sorry I got your peach tree mixed up with a mango tree, gosh I was on a great roll yesterday getting everyone and everything mixed up LOL. What a shame your peaches are not that tasty as you say, I wonder why and if there is any remedy for that apart from adding sugar he he. My brother-in-law manages a fruit farm in VIC, I will have to ask him what his secret is to growing big, sweet and juicy peaches as I remember tasting some when we last visited and they were the best we have ever had. Bree I think the variegated brom you liked in my yesterday post was Neo’ ‘Gray Nurse’. Luved your pics too of Neo’ ‘Medusa’ and Neo’ ‘Gladiator’.

Hi Sue too funny – yes had a HUGE day at work yesterday and clearly lost the plot in getting your identity mixed up with Shirley. Here I was going “Where are you Sue” and you were here all along LOL.

Sue I think you were the one that identified my Neo’ ‘Gray Nurse’ because I remember purchasing it without a name and asked the question first on DG, so thanks ever so much for that. I checked it today and it is starting to flush much pinker in the centre since I took that photo. By all means I can put you down for a pup but I hope you don’t mind waiting as I have a few people waiting for a pup and I am still waiting too, it is a pretty well established plant so I am hoping to get pups off it this year (cross my fingers & toes).

Sue I totally don’t blame you being annoyed with the road-works you have had to put up with for the past 2 years, plus excessively slow drivers. Today I had a bad experience with a crazy lady driver who had stopped in the middle of the Bruce Highway with no hazard lights on, to assist a friend whose car had broken down on the side of the road. I was coming from a double lane road that comes around a bend that merges onto the highway (so I had a green arrow) and did not see her car until I was nearly right up her ginger, I could not hop into the other lane because of the traffic so I just stopped behind her and had to put my hazard lights on and looked for an opportunity to get into the other lane when safe to do so, that opportunity was not there and then to my horror she decided to put her car into reverse, clearly did not see me behind her and started to reverse her car for a good 10 seconds, so I had to slam my car into reverse and toot my horn loudly whilst checking for cars coming up behind me, I had no choice to stop reversing eventually because I was boxed in when I could see a cars in my revision mirror coming up behind me. The crazy lady in front of me missed hitting the front of my car by the hair on my chinny chin chin, finally saw me and then parked her car beside the stranded car off the road but not before she blamed me with bad verbal abuse with window down for her mistakes, anyway by then I had well and truly had enough, parked my car ahead a little (off the road) and walked over and gave her a piece of my mind, by the time I was through with her she realised she had stuffed up and her friend gave her a serve also. Anyway that’s my whinge for the day out the road and hopefully I have saved someone’s life from that crazy lady ever thinking of pulling a stunt like that again – not on my watch. I must admit I felt a bit like I was in one of those car chase movies but doing it in reverse while honking my horn endlessly, eat your heart out OO7.

Sue the half dog in the pic is Lexi the half sausage (sausage dog x) we adopted from the RSPCA. She luvs hanging around that new brom bed, maybe because it’s nice and shady? She also likes eating avocados but they are highly toxic to dogs so we have to be mindful of that when it comes to wildlife knocking them out of the tree and pick them up each morning. Pleased to hear you liked the new garden bed too, it’s a work in progress still but never the less and extra area to put my less luved broms because of when the avocado’s start to fall.

Sue great pics you posted, luved Neo’ ‘Zonta’ could you please put my name down for a pup for one day when you have a spare thanks. Luved your Till’ area and the sign on your pool fence about Bathers Optional he he. Your new Crypts’ (is one ‘IT’?) are very nice and so is your Bill’ ‘Pink Champagne’.

Hi Jean WOW Neo’ ‘Paradise Point’ colours up to be a stunner of a brom looking at the link Bree kindly provided, nice deep rich burgundy all over with only a hint of green.

Anyway time to watch some TV, have apple pie baking in the oven and it smells absolutely divine.

Hi to anyone else looking in or on the Sick List.

Take care and Happy Gardening!

Trish

Pics of Pups Growing