Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Spring Seed Starting 2013 #2, 3 by Gitagal

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Gitagal

In reply to: Spring Seed Starting 2013 #2

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Spring Seed Starting 2013 #2
Gitagal wrote:
I am also at the crossroads with having to pot up my seedling plants, that are now 2+" tall.
Everything is doing well--but I dread trying to find a place to put any and all the re-potted seedlings.
A greenhouse sure is good for that....
Mine are all still under lights. The Snapdragons are getting tall. "Ibertoo" said to pinch out the tops,
but they are too fine for me to try to do that. maybe i will use my cuticle scissors to do it...

Potted up almost all my Daturas the other day. They were growing so big--had to be done.
Will have a few to share--for sure. I want to pass some on to a few people at work as well.

I am a bit disappointed at the lack of germination of the ornamental purple and black Peppers.
Whassup???
A;ll Zinnias are doing well. Glad to see my self-collected seeds growing.
I was VERY careful to save only the ones that had "substance"--as so many of them can be empty.

Paul---How far along are your Blue poppies? Mine are thin strands of seedlings--about 1" tall.
I am afraid to even touch them. They had the fridge treatment for a month--and then
I potted the seeds and waited for them to germinate and then put them under very low lights.
These are 2' fluorescents--I think barely 25 Watts?
Can you post a picture of yours? I will take one and post it here in a minute.

Ric--My gardening "career" also started when i was hired by the Wholesale grower
to transplant seedlings from cells into market packs. 10 M-packs per tray earned us 70 cents.
You learn to work VERY fast....

OK! here are some pictures. Getting camera now...... Gita

1--Snaps. seedlings-top. Basil--below
2--Asst. Zinnias
3--Daturas--potted up in 4" pots
4--Tiny Blue Poppy seedlings. SOOO fragile!
5--All my Easter Cactus babies. None blooming yet...