Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Just down right Bragging, 3 by HollyAnnS

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright HollyAnnS

Subject: Just down right Bragging

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Just down right Bragging
HollyAnnS wrote:
OMG, What a wonderful day it was. DD Jen, has been training for a good 6 months for the DC Rock & Roll Marathon. It was her first full Marathon. She had good practice times and was running 20 miles. Then just weeks before the race. Jen's large hard headed dog somehow managed to crash right into her knee with that hard head. She had to stop her training and truly wasn't sure she could run at all. But with an iron will and the good conditioning she had done she made it the whole way. 26.2 miles in 5 hours slower than her practice times but just what she needed to finish the run.
Josh's love Courtney, Also a runner but not currently in training thought she would join Jen for a few miles to encourage her along the way and ended up running close to 1/2 the Marathon. After hiking all over the city to cheer Jen on at several spots along the course she jumped in about 15 miles out thinking she would run along for about 5 miles or so. But didn't turn off before they crossed the bridge and from then on there was no real place for her to jump back out. She jumped out about a mile or two before the finish line so Jen could take it home on her own.
Josh and I did a pretty good hike all over the city ourselves. I actually broke off from Josh and Courtney after the start of the marathon when it became pretty oblivious that I couldn't keep up. They headed off to intersect Jen at the 7 mile mark and I headed off to intersect her at the 10 mile mark then we all met again at the 15 mile mark where Courtney jumped in and Josh and I went to meet Jen's DH and children at the Space Museum for a quick lunch. Matt to the rescue, noway were the kids 5 & 6 going to make the 3 miles to the finish line so we jumped the Metro and were all there to cheer Jen over the finish line.
The weather held up well for us a bit chilly, overcast and damp with some bright spots when the sun came out a good day for a run and a hike. With St.Patty's Day close at hand there were quite a few interesting costumes among the runners and while trekking around the city I got some interesting pics of the homes. I kept Ric, Jen's sister and Grandparents informed on her progress along the way.
I only had about 2 hours sleep in the car on the way down so by the time I got home it was give Ric a blow by blow of the day and crash and burn. Think I was in bed about 6:00pm.
Dad's doing very well. He had been sick for about 4 days with one of these nasty flue bugs and was getting better. Then started getting sick again. Didn't want him to slide down hill again so over to the local Hosp for some IV fluids and anti-nausea meds. We got to the Hosp about 8:00pm and I got home about 2:30am just in time to shower, change, pack a few things before Josh & Courtney picked me up at 4:00am.

Not sure there are enough words to tell you how truly proud I am of my daughter and her support team as well.
Jen, Josh & Jen waiting for the start, Courtney, Josh & Jen doing her stretching , Jen waiting for the start wearing Mom's jacket.

WHAT A GREAT DAY IT WAS !!!