Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS - NOVEMBER 2012, 3 by bromishy

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright bromishy

In reply to: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS - NOVEMBER 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS - NOVEMBER 2012
bromishy wrote:
Hi All!

Sue, yeah our Bowen Mango’s aren’t as plentiful as last year as a lot of young fruit dropped to the ground caused by the strong wind we experienced a couple of months ago. There is still a lot of fruit on the tree just not as much to share this time around, normally we give a lot to friends and to colleagues at work and I also dehydrate and freeze a fair bit for us. I have not got into making jams as such. I am allergic to the fresh stuff hence why I dehydrate and freeze so I can eat some without breaking out a head to toe rash lol. Yes I agree Sue I definitely need to continue the garden section along the fence for my new broms, unfortunately I will have to shade part of this area over summer as a fair section gets too much sun, anyway I will be shading the area over the weekend so that we can have them covered during the week when we are at work and uncover them during the right times of the day so we can admire them on the weekends. We will look at planting some natives in the wetland area to help shade the area a bit better in the coming years, it may take a while for them to grow but it would be worthwhile for the wildlife and for my broms.

Sue wow you have so much splitting and potting to do, how exciting, although exhausting I agree with Nev that it is very enjoyable and especially when you see the end result and see your broms growing how rewarding is that wonderful feeling experienced. My hubby Joe says I am most happiest when I am potting up my broms, so he also likes buying them for me and surprising me when they arrive in the post, then I run around like a mad hatter getting more pots, medium etc lol but I luv it.

Nev, Neo Kel is gorgeous, I have never seen this one before, what a pretty flower, looks more like some sort of Ae. instead of a Neo? That Vr. NOID you posted has such a pretty flower which looks mostly yellow with a touch of dusty pink flush here and there, real nice, look forward to seeing pic of flower opened.

Bree, how pretty is that pic you posted of Aztec, I think I have this one but it never had a tag and seems to do well here in our front yard in full sun all day long go figure. Sorry to hear your Neo Domini passed away, I brought a pup months ago and it has not grown much at all, still looks nice but no pups, I want to keep the first pup it has but if it gives me more than one I will let you know. Bree what other Gympies are out there other than Gympie Delight and Gympie Lavender Lace? Thank you for the offer of pups once they pup. The Gympie Delight pup you gave me is growing well and is full of colour.

Shirley welcome back to the land of threading lol, we have missed you and all the beautiful pics of your broms. Yes Brom buying sprees are definitely FUN I want to do it all over again already like I need another fix lol. But I have enough to keep me well and truly occupied around the garden until the NY hopefully so I will try to behave some. Shirley I will keep you in mind for pups once I have some spares. I am really looking forward to some of these beauties pupping for the first time because there is always that concern of losing your mother plant, I really can’t wait for Neo Cliff Siverd to pup because it’s one of my favourites at the moment and has gotten a lot darker than I expected, I think the one I have might be Cliff Siverd Dark Form? Are your broms starting to pup? I discovered my first pups on a couple of my large broms today and I am over the moon, at least I know I am doing something right enough for them to keep producing and I now have a back-up plant. Shirley how are your seedlings going? Mine are growing ever so slowly but they are growing never the less which is great.

Anyway time to put the kettle on.

Take care everyone, speak soon and Happy Gardening!

Trish

Pic 1 Vr. Pink Cockatoo
Pic 2 Neo Mini Wild Tiger
Pic 3 Neo Mini Shamrock
Pic 4 Neo Pink River
Pic 5 Old pic of Mixed Broms (so many more there now)