Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS - NOVEMBER 2012, 3 by weed_woman

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright weed_woman

In reply to: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS - NOVEMBER 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS - NOVEMBER 2012
weed_woman wrote:
good morning all.
Shirley, I am not familiar with your plant, but its a beauty! It sort of reminds me of 'Gee Whizz' (I seem to say that alot these days) Is it quite large? It looks large. We didn't win lotto either, but you would have had to get at least six numbers to get more than a few hundred dollars.
Bree, Your Neoregelia 'Fairy Tale' is awesome. I'm sure I have one, but doesn't look at all like yours.
Ian, sometimes its nice to have a break from the garden, and read a book. I usually do that on rainy days, but we haven't had many of those recently. I hope you give the coconut growing Tillandsia seed idea a try. I'll be interested to see how it goes? Do you have some seed to try? I have a few pods of Tillandsia utriculata, recently collected, if anyone would like to have a go. This particluar Till. only grows from seed, it doesn't pup.
I like your ampullacea collection. The first one looks alot like N. 'Tar Baby' or N. 'Little Black'.the pictures look a little dark though.
Wendy, sorry to hear you didn't find out anything definitive, and have another day of worrying ahead of you. Lets hope the tests come back quickly with the best possible outcome.
Fishing sounds like a good distraction.
Nev, wouldn't that be good if the fertiliser rep takes notice of our growing requirements and they make a fertiliser especially for broms? I'm sure you will tell us when it becomes available. Lets hope they keep it with in our price range.
I am glad you are able to post again, as I was concerned when there was no Email awaiting me this morning. It has been no trouble to do, and I learned some things about my computer along the way.
My poor Alcantarea. It hasn't even flowered yet and you're talking about cutting it off! Wash your mouth out! heh heh. I will let it go to seed before that happens. I have a few small seedling of the same plant, from seed that Wendy sent me ages ago, but not enough to have a good supply should anyone be interested in purchasing some.
My trolley is a metal one, with drop down sides, and pneumatic tyres. I have to check the nuts and bolts in the wheels from time to time, as they do work loose from bumping over the yard. A couple of sales back I had a young customer with three small children that were making it difficult for her to shop, so I loaded them in the trolley and we went walking around the garden. That sale made enough to buy another trolley, so it has paid for itself in more ways than one. I like your idea with the movers trolley. They come on special from time to time, at Supercheap Autos for around $20. Great for moving heavy bags of potting mix, or big potted plants!

Photo one shows that 31 seconds is too long for a small container of Sphagnum in the microwave
Photo two....why I hate gum trees
Photo three, it didn't damage anything as even the Cliveas stood back up when it was removed. It must have been slowed by the palm trees.
Photo four is Billbergia rosea in flower. Gosh its big, Nev!
Photo five is my hand for comparison.
We are supposed to get some good rain this weekend, but I am still going to water, just in case!
Sue