Photo by Melody
Announcements
The ability to post new threads and comments is currently off-line. We are working to restore this feature.

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS - NOVEMBER 2012, 3 by ianperry

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright ianperry

In reply to: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS - NOVEMBER 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS - NOVEMBER 2012
ianperry wrote:
Hi all,nothing much achieved here today, just filled the rubbish bin and read a book. Time off for Ian, just for today.
Nev, I read with alarm that you are considering using a high nitrogen fertiliser and another one with copper and zinc, both poisons to broms. I trust that you will tread with caution and not experiment with your best plants. But then you have a lot more experience than i do. Maybe the results will teach me something more about growing broms.
As for dumping plants, i have to get rid of the source and some of that is in the bases of clumping palms. When I get rid of enough of these then I have a chance of controlling pests within the rest of my yard. I have been watching this white stuff on the palms for months and it didn't register as to what it was. A combination of mealy bug, white fly and soft bodied scale. I am guessing that this was the breeding ground.
Overcrowding could have been part of the problem also. When I take out a plant for Group functions or buy 1 from outside it goes straight into quarrantine area. I cannot take any chances at the moment, probibly that will be a good rule for me to follow. Sometimes I win a plant either in the raffle or at our auction and mix it with mine in the back of the car. possible spread of disease.
I will have to look again at the basics of growing Crypts, thanks for the link.
My pics load quicker form where I have filed them than just saved to desktop because I have to resize them to save them in file. Makes sense to me. Why didn't I think of it.
Sue, thanks for naming the Canistrum. I like the idea of using coconut fibre to start the Til seeds, just as a decorative thought I wonder how it would look if a coconut with the hard skin removed would look and go, I have a few tills growing on coconuts. I have no ladybugs here only green ants and they farm aphids and other sap suckers to get the honeydew as food. I could get rid of the ants with a dog flea killer/repellant but they would be back unless all my neighbours did the same.If I take away their food then they may go elswhere to get some.
D G didn't stuff up I did, I just got my pics mixed up. As for losing plants I think it is a side effect of growing broms. I found it today, the lazy plant was just lying around after I dropped a tree branch on it. I cleaned up the branch from the opposite end to where the plant was. Plant is ok, not hurt.
Wendy, i hope things work out ok for Max
Great looking pics from all
Have a good one
Ian
Pic 1 N Mini ampullacea red
Pic 2 N mini ampullacea
Pic 3 N mini NZ Ampullacea
Pic 4 N mini Carolinea X painted lady