Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS - NOVEMBER 2012, 3 by weed_woman

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright weed_woman

In reply to: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS - NOVEMBER 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS - NOVEMBER 2012
weed_woman wrote:
My turn now,
where to begin
I just drove back from the central coast of NSW after finalising the clean up, for settlement, on my F-I-Laws house, so I haven't had a chance to have a look at whats going on around here, but I did take a few photos on friday before setting off, so at least I have something to share.
Trish, congrats on getting the watering system in. I agree wih all of Nevs comments to do with checking where the water has reached. i can tell by the weight of my pot, if the water has gone in, and i usually rotate a few if one is drier than another, and also turn the pots on occasion so they get more even light. Yours, being in the garden would be a bit trickier i suspect. I love to hand water, and use the time to check for pests and weeds nd pups and flowers, but sometimes its not possible to find the time so the automatic system works well. It does, however, water the floor and other areas that don't need watering, and i have to watch for weeds if I have used the system continuously for around a week. thats not a common occurence though, so pretty much weed free here (in the pots and shade houses). Thanks for the compliments and yes, there is quite good airflow, although it can get very steamy in there when the sun is out!
I think i like your N. 'Stormy Forest' most, of the photos you posted. I do like the bright coloured minis.
Wendy, I'm glad you were able to rescue some of your fallen seed, i hope they didn't get too contaminated. I now what you are saying about your pitcairnia seed, as once space becomes an issue, you start to wonder if you really need trays of plants that may not appeal to everyone. i have found the solution is to offer small seedlings at $1, in my sales, and it saves me potting them up, finding a shelf for them, and gives me more room in my green waste bin for other things. Also, if you have 30 small seedlings, theres potentially $30 for hardly any work at all. If you have them in cell trays, you can just remove the plug with one plant, and wrap a bit of foil or newspaper around the soil and the customer can pot them themselves. I usually have a photo of the flowering adult, which helps to sell them, but only when its a species.
Bree, thats smart thinking about getting combined postage. Thats what has held me back from ebay this year, the postage costs. i'd rather spend it on petrol and go and hand pick my plant purchases, not that i've had too many bed ones through Ebay, but i also enjoy meeting the growers, and have made some good mates that way.
Ian, this talk of Cryptanthus has me wondering what you do with them? I have about 4-5 different ones, and have varying success with them. i find that keeping them moist (as seems to be the go) encourages moss on the top of the soil, and I am forever pulling it out, because i think it is causing rotting amongst some, and then sometimes i'll have four of the same variety, in four different pots, but with the same soil and watering and in the same location, and one will just turn brown and die! They give me the pips, to put it nicely!
Shirley, i understand your disappointment at the markets. i went to the Toukley markets this morning, and couldn't find anything, other than a couple of books, to take home for the shade house! i wish i was closer to brissie because i would have been at the BSQ spring sale for sure!
Anyway, I'd better see what photos i have to offer, and then go check the yard.
Photo one i for Bree. i thought this looked more like the mini you posted awhile back. Its labelled as Neo. olens x guinea
Photo two is for Shirley, showing how I germinate my Tillandsia seed. These are T. utriculata.
Photo three is N. 'Royal Cordovan' a favourite
Photo four is Vriesea heiroglyphica, with my size 9 jandal in front for size comparison.
Photo five is a pup of Aechmea pectinata 'Kathy Dorr' which is supposed to turn orange instead of pink, and seems to be getting a bit of colour now, so I will keep you updated on that.
laters
Sue