Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads for novices & addicts, October 2012, 3 by weed_woman

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright weed_woman

In reply to: Bromeliads for novices & addicts, October 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads for novices & addicts, October 2012
weed_woman wrote:
Morning all . I am going to put my phot descriptions first so they are alongside the photos when you look.
Photo one is my N. 'Running Red River'
Photo two is N. 'Jewellery Shop' which would have looked better if grown a little harder.
Photo three is where my Nidularium longiflorum flower is up to today
Photo four is one from Jen. Neo 'Ashanti' i wonder if it flushes?
Photo five is a NOID I got as a big green plant. The first one i gave alot of light to and it went yellow with red lightning strips, and this is the pup. It looks as though it might be starting to flush for flowering, and I'm sure it starts pink and fades to purple. I have tried for an ID in the past, from various sources, but no luck as yet. Someone suggested 'Gee Whizz' but, although similar to what i have as 'gee Whizz' I don't think it is.

Gee Nev, I can't believe you are having computer problems again! I hope it get sorted soon, as your last post was definitely not long enough!
Colleen, so good to hear from you. Was the newbie a local lady, or passing through. Its nice to meet someone in person that you met online, and they never fail to disappoint. I've met lots of awesome people through DG. Your N. 'Pheasant' looks great and N. 'Miniskirt' but one is a little greener than the other (miniskirt?) and could do with a tad more light. I'm sure you will be getting that as the season warms up! I know what you mean about the other garden. i have tried having an Aechmea garden, a neo garden and an Alcantarea garden, but other genus just sneak in. It easier to have plants that like the same conditions, rather than plants of the same type, and some things just compliment each other. I've also noticed i am a 'Row' planter, and seem to plant borders and rows of the same thing. Where did that come from? Anyway, as long as you are enjoying your garden, that's all that matters!
Ian, well done on the hangers. I have only attempted making 's' hooks to hang plants from, but have the odd wire hanger from different places. i will see if i remember to get a pic of a couple. When I looked at your photo with the original post, it almost looked like a pair of spectacles! So i had to take a closer look! heh heh
Bree, your two pups look very similar, but i can see a more pinkish tone in the second one. I guess you will just have to learn to love it with a name or not? Maybe when its older it will become clear?
Wendy, lucky you to get some nice things for yourself also. You have to look close at Ross's and you will always find something. He didn't have Tillandsias when we were there last. i wonder where they came from?Next time i'm up your way, I'd love to go visit Barry again. He had some great stuff at good prices. i think i have exhausted the selection of Tillandsias from Bunnings and (as far as i know) there isn't a grower in town I can get them from for a reasonable price.
Well, yesterday i discovered lots more burned broms, but hey, no point in crying over it. they are in the garden, and I don't usually put special ones there, and they have pups so will recover in one way or another.

Ok, time to get outside and do something while it is cool.
I hope everyone is well this thursday.
Sue