Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Daylilies: Question about costs., 3 by nutsfordaylily

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright nutsfordaylily

In reply to: Question about costs.

Forum: Daylilies

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Question about costs.
nutsfordaylily wrote:
I paid $150 for a daylily once. I've had it 3 years now, and the darn thing has never amounted to much. I got the tiniest little fan, too, not blooming size at all. I won't pay that much for one again. However, this year I bought two expensive ones. One was MEMORIAL TO STEVE by Richard Norris ( http://www.ashwooddaylilies.com/introductions 2008-09.htm MTS is the third one down on the listing). It's listed for $100, but was $200 just a few years ago, when it was first introduced. I got it on eBay for $60, and was really pleased with it. It bloomed nicely for me, and can't wait to see how it looks next year. Another one I got for $70 called TED'S TRIBUTE TO LINDA by Petite ( http://www.petitdaylilies.com/pd_store/teds_tribute_to_linda... ). I think that one is listed at $300. It sold at an auction for around $7,500, the most any daylily has ever sold for at auction. It bloomed for me, too, but much shorter than registered. Being it's first year in my gardens, I didn't expect anything spectacular. I'm hoping it will prove to be hardy for me, as it's a southern bred one and semievergreen. Keeping my fingers crossed. MTS should be quite hardy, as it was bred in OH.

Here are those daylilies in my garden this past July. The first 2 are of TTTL, and the last 2 are MTS. If they look this good this year, imagine how nice they'll look next year and the third year.

As for paying a lot of money for daylilies, it's fine for those who can afford it. I think many are way overpriced, though I know some are in short supply, and it can take up to 5 years to introduce a new daylily from the time you start growing it from seed.

Karen