Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Dahlias: Prepping Dahlias for Winter, 3 by Oberon46

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Oberon46

Subject: Prepping Dahlias for Winter

Forum: Dahlias

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Prepping Dahlias for Winter
Oberon46 wrote:
This is depressing I know, but I have to start now. I am taking in the pots which are saturated to get the tubers started to drying and also the dirt. I need the dirt to fill in the holes I have to dig in prep for peonies coming next month. I thought I would post my new re-purposing idea for my sunbeds for spring growing. Also a picture of Neon Splendor I took indoors. Still fighting with a camera that cannot hope to capture the variance in the bloom colors. This one is listed as orange, but as you can see, it is many colors that give it a wonderful depth.

I got some 1/4 heavy mesh 24"x8'. the racks are about 23"w and 4' long. I cut a length then wired it to the frames. I had hoped the tubers wouldn't make the wire sag. Ha. so I have to take up a little slack and get a little more airflow beneath the tubers. Figuring I have 60 to dry, it will probably take both racks with 5 shelves each to do it. Back to Lowe's for more wire mesh. I am only taking off the dirt I can dig out. Figured I could knock off more dirt when it dried, then wash and redry. I have nursery pens to write on each tuber what it is but for now I write it on popsicle sticks and just stick it between the tubers on each plant.

Of the plants I have 31 unique (only one of each) and 9 of which I have multiples, 5 of which are new for me this year. Heaven only knows what I'll end up with if I decide to split them this fall which I usually do. I bought fungicide to "shake and bake' the tubers after they are dry and before wrapping them in saran. Then in a box on a far lower shelving in the garage that should maintain at about 50degrees.

BTW, someone sent me the asters pictured and I love them. I have not had good luck with asters but I am praying these come back next year. They are about 18" tall and the flowers are about 1" across. Anyone have any idea what they are called?