Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: bromeliads for novices and addicts, sep, 2012, 3 by ianperry

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright ianperry

In reply to: bromeliads for novices and addicts, sep, 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of bromeliads for novices and addicts, sep, 2012
ianperry wrote:
Hi all, another fine day and still no rain. Probibly keep the cane farmers happy though.
Nev I am using Manutec Bloom booster. Others here are using granular fertiliser mix, i guess to each their own..
That is a beautiful Neophytum Galactic warrior.
Sue this time i am fertilising everything with Condys chrystals, dunk the entire pot and if the leaves get wet then I will just drain them and rinse them off. Sometimes fertiliser in the crown can cause rot. This may only be with Nitrogen fertiliser, so I have been told. The next fertilising will be with the orchid Manutec Bloom booster. I am an experimenter but I investigate things a bit before I try them. Just before winter I might use up my African Violet fertiliser, it is a bit, big bit heavy on the nitrogen. This could beef them up for winter, but maybe not. There will be someone out there who has tried and may share their results with us. I like to use different brands as there is often different trace elements in each of them. Epsom salts is magnesium very helpful in citrus and my crypts are growing under the citrus trees. They are bound to get some from the soil. My crtpts are still in their pots dug into the soil to assist in maintaining moisture.
Have a good one
Ian.
Pic 1 Til xerographica
pic 2 Ursulae Mcveighii
Pic 3 Ae Primera a( fasciata)
Pic 4 N Lava
Pic 5 Androlepsis skinneri on 8" pavers