Herbs: Containers aroiund mint, 3 by mwhit

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright mwhit

In reply to: Containers aroiund mint

Forum: Herbs

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Containers aroiund mint
mwhit wrote:
Some terra cotta chimney flues are not like terra cotta pots because they have a fired on glaze and don't suck the water out of the soil like the more porous pots do. I have used them in my herb garden for years and they work very well for smaller plants.

I have oregano, creeping thyme, lavender, mints and basil in them. The mints need pulled out and cut down every year-I have been moving mine to 2 gallon plastic pots with the bottoms cut off, buried with two inches of rim exposed and I can wait a few years before the mint is trying to burst out at the seams! The basil has overwhelmed the flue as you can see in the pic but if I was more attentive to pruning it back it would be better!!
I have mine in groups of three buried at staggered heighths. Sometimes I plant all three in the group with the same plant sometimes I mix it up- always looks nice I think. I have planted Nasturtiums and white Allysum in them for some color -beautiful!
1st pic is when my herb garden was new, 2nd pic more mature plantings, 3rd pic- Basil going wild!!

Another use we found was in the pond- set upright a plant basket just fits on top and can put a marginal plant anywhere in the pond. Laid on their side they make a great tunnel for the fish to hide in. They don't leach lime into the water like concrete blocks do and their darker color blends better too.

Ours are square, about 8 inches across and 30 inches high. They are about an inch thick and I've left them out-either in the pond or filled with soil in the garden all winter for at least 10 years and none have broken.

If you ever see them discarded -drag them home- they are a great feature in your garden! MWhit