Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Tomatoes & Peppers: Growing tomatoes in the PNW. Help please!, 3 by BeaHive

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright BeaHive

In reply to: Growing tomatoes in the PNW. Help please!

Forum: Tomatoes & Peppers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Growing tomatoes in the PNW. Help please!
BeaHive wrote:
Parts of the Bay area are rainy during winter, but by spring most counties are pretty nice. I have lived in all and never had any problems with tomatoes,except an occasional vist from those ugly big tomato worms. As it is becoming dusk now, I went out to inspect the plants to see if any night time critters were present. Saw nothing. Maybe the garden faries are playing tricks me. I have about a quarter acre lot & pond to tend to, but the tomatoes are in pots up on the deck as the soil is very soggy clay during rainy season and dries to a very sandy grit when dry. (fast draining in the summer.) I have brought in truck loads of compost and have had truckload of the clay hauled away. In time I hope to get all veggies in the ground as the soil conditions improve. Dry forcast is expect this weekend so I will try the neem when the plants dry a bit.
Pic of my Chihuahua named Blossom near my sad tomato plants and a few of the pretty Bearded Iris that made it thru the last rain.