Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Brugmansias.....it's almost winter....., 3 by cestrum_SEQ

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright cestrum_SEQ

In reply to: Brugmansias.....it's almost winter.....

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Brugmansias.....it's almost winter.....
cestrum_SEQ wrote:
Humidity in May? LOL You ain't seen real humidity, Lucas! BTW, when there was a cold snap a few years ago and night temps fell to about 8-10 deg. C overnight in FNQ, well above freezing, many of the plants died simply because they could not tolerate such cool temps. So it all comes back to what you're used to, plants and people alike. I find the combo of winter frost and summer humidity esp. difficult for the plants. Obviously many of the tropicals cannot tolerate frost, but many of the frost-hardy plants that can also tolerate high summer temps can't withstand humidity, e.g. the common buddlejas, which have progressively been dying in my garden. Plus, my arborea is barely alive, all my sanguineas have long since died and there's no chance of growing spaeros here. And then there's the fruitfly ...

But I still have my ylang ylang :-)

Chrissy, your Old Apricot x Butterbomb seedling is still flowering. As is Alistair white#13. Shaun, that cut corolla seems to be fairly common among the suaveolens, although it's been pointed out to me that my white suaveolens is a hybrid. Unfortunately, I don't know what it was crossed with. I guess I could dab some pollen from one of the other flowering brugs onto it; the overhead canopy might protect it from frost.