Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Tomatoes & Peppers: Growing Tomatoes, Season 2012, 3 by Gymgirl

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Gymgirl

In reply to: Growing Tomatoes, Season 2012

Forum: Tomatoes & Peppers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Growing Tomatoes, Season 2012
Gymgirl wrote:
Ya'll know I gave away all 100+ of my tomato seedlings, except for the 4 I kept for myself, right? Well, my friends are coming in with mixed bag reports.

Two (including me), have lush tomato growth almost 6' tall, but very few tomatoes. I think it's too much nitrogen in the soil, although one said they didn't add any fertilizers, just their regular load of topsoil and manure. I do have blossoms at the very top of the plants, and have been shaking them every day.

I visited another grower this week, and his 4 RBs are full of lush greenery with lots of fruit set on all the plants. He hauled in organic hummus, organic cow manure, mulch, and 10-24-10 granulated fertilizer. So far, so good.

My neighbor two doors down showed me two of the largest, most perfectly round heirloom tomatoes I have seen in a looooooooong time, from his garden. He's growing a whole row of my plants...

Finally, my neighbor across the street showed me these yesterday morning (see the pic). Yes, they truly are that big -- all of them. And, I visited her yesterday evening to see for myself. Her small bed of Miracle Grow garden soil (roughly 2' x 8') that sits in full sun all day long, has about 3 or 4 of my tomato plants that are LOADED with HUGE fruits! I mean huge! Go figure???!

And, not one of these growers kept track of which variety they're growing....

Linda

This message was edited May 23, 2012 10:53 AM