Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Tomatoes & Peppers: Some problems with tomatoes, 3 by kathy_ann

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright kathy_ann

Subject: Some problems with tomatoes

Forum: Tomatoes & Peppers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Some problems with tomatoes
kathy_ann wrote:
I'm having a horrible time with my tomatoes again this year. We had blight last year and we did plant in a diff place this year, and still having troubles, the first 5 plants really need to b e pulled now, I tried to cut them back and spray with this solution that my neighbor told me about, part bleach, part dish soap and water. but it's not working, or either I burnt up the leaves using too much bleach in the water, itwas 3 oz bleach, l oz dish soap and l gal water. I am using a baking soda solution now, with oil, dish soap, baking soda and water mix now. I have a few plants who's tips of the plants will curl up like this picture here, during the heat of the day all the tips look like this. but in the early morning, I only have a few tips like this, I just wondered if it was something to worry about. I have put in a pic of the one that has blight also, i'm ready to pull up thse first 5 plants and call it quit, they are half the size of the others because i've cut on them so much. I wish we could get through this problem with the tomatoes. WE've decided not to plant tomatoes at all in our regular garden next year to let the ground recoop from the blight, None of the other plants related to tomatoes are affected with blight and we have peppers planted inbetween each tomatoes, and they are not affected with the blight either.

WE've had a wonderful spring here, not overwhelmed with rain , but we had a mild winter, and hot weather then cool weather, it's been strange but nice, nothing that I think would cause all this trouble wtih the tomatoes, We're not having any other troubles in the veggie garden, except our squash is tiny, i think the soil in that area is poor though, we've not planted squash in that area before. So we replanted in a better part of the garden to see if that would help.

The second picture is the one I think is full of blight, first pic is the tips are curled up and the third pic is the whole plant with the curled tips.