Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Tomatoes & Peppers: New (for me) Tomato Worm, 3 by jomoncon

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright jomoncon

Subject: New (for me) Tomato Worm

Forum: Tomatoes & Peppers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of New (for me) Tomato Worm
jomoncon wrote:
While I was inspecting my tomatoes this morning, I found several leaves with holes in them. Turning over the leaf, I found these little guys. The largest one is about 3/4 of a inch long. I started picking them off. The chickens love them. But I have just too many tomato plants to go through all of them. Then, I started finding damage to the young Roma tomatoes, so they aren't just eating the leaves, but the fruit as well.

In doing some research on tomato bugs, I came across this: http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/r783301511.html, for Tomato Cutworms. It look like the closest thing I've found. It says they overwinter in the soil. I grow my toms in earthboxes, and this year, I did use the same soil as last year.

I've got to do some spraying for them. The article from ucdavis mentions the use of METHOMYL* (Lannate) 90SP for when the worms are feeding on leaves & fruit. I'm not a strictly organic gardener (hard to be in hot humid New Orleans), but I'd really prefer something less toxic. Do you think BT would work. Or some other organic control? I need to do something today before all my fruit is gone.

Jo-Ann