Photo by Melody
Announcements
The ability to post new threads and comments is currently off-line. We are working to restore this feature.

California Gardening: Ecoregions differ from USDA Hardiness Zones, 3 by desert_witch

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright desert_witch

In reply to: Ecoregions differ from USDA Hardiness Zones

Forum: California Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Ecoregions differ from USDA Hardiness Zones
desert_witch wrote:
Ernie, until I just found this website, I relied on my grandmother's many years of recording the high and low temps on her calendar on a daily basis. I used to simply call my little place a "micro-climate" but I was referring to my 40 acres as opposed to the larger area on the plantmaps.com page. I was just tickled to discover that their data matched mine, and hoped it might help others.
We bought this place in '65, so I do indeed remember when Old woman Springs and Rabbit Springs still flowed. I believe Box Springs still does, but it's a lil way up the mountain. You may have heard of or know of our place, in fact. It was once known of as "the Big House" as it was the first full sized house in LV that WASN'T built on a spring/artesian well. In later years it was known as "the old Hellman place" after the folks who owned it for many years.
You might get a kick out of this. I was wandering the desert the other day (as I am wont to do) when I came upon this little artesian well waaaay out off of Lucerne Valley Cutoff!