Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Yarden maintenance for April, 3 by Gitagal

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Gitagal

In reply to: Yarden maintenance for April

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Yarden maintenance for April
Gitagal wrote:
Cost---$13. 20-something..for the Millorganite....Right? 36lb. bag. Totally Eco Friendly....
N-P-K-......5-2-0

Sally--
I cannot imagine trying to save N. Sea Oats....I have had 4 clumps in a so-so raised, decaying bed
3' away from the trunk of my huge Silver Maple. Been spraying it with Round Up for a year.
It is still coming up! Will have to do it again while the new growth is lush and tender.....
The seeds flew all over my YUK bed and I have been digging them up every year.
Have several pots-full, if anyone wants them.
IF you have a lg. property and lots of open spaces--this may be an attractive Grass to have.
I wonder if its name "Sea Oats" means it likes to be near water??? Hmmmmm......

The landscape timbers around this bed are all rotten. I started dismantling it last summer--but never got too far.
Then I have to take them to the landfill. Need a buddy with a truck....

The only worthwhile thing in one end of this bed is a VERY old Gooseberry bush.
It doesn't even produce--as it is all choked up as well with the Maple Roots..

What I should do is try to dig it up (Oh yeah! Call in the national Guard!) and re-pot it in a large container.
I may have to hack and hack and sacrifice a lot of roots. But--then I could cut the plant back and it should re-grow.
Gooseberries make awesome Jam! Good fresh as well--if you like the sweet/sour taste.

Not sure I will get to this all in my lifetime. This time frame is shrinking fast......

Gita

#1--Sea Oats in season--with the attractive "oats" on the ends of each stem
#2--The same "attractive" oats in the fall, when they are dry and fall all over and seed and grow.
#3--The lush, new growth before the "oats" form. Once it gets going--it grows fast....

This message was edited Apr 4, 2012 7:14 PM