Photo by Melody

Mid-South Gardening: March, 2012!! Spring has sprung (or is springing-maybe). , 3 by Riverland

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Riverland

In reply to: March, 2012!! Spring has sprung (or is springing-maybe).

Forum: Mid-South Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of March, 2012!!  Spring has sprung (or is springing-maybe).
Riverland wrote:
Good morning all
Jeri so sorry to hear about our friend prayers being said.

Genna this was an interesting comment on getting rid of bamboo. After 3 years of fighting it on his land and a common area he says it is all but gone. I also wanted to suggest renting a trencher to dig down as deep as you can to put out that bearer. I didn't read the article so I don't know if they suggested that. I don't know exactly how deep a trencher will dig but it should help to get it started. We rented a trencher to bury an electrical line when we couldn't break the ground with a pickax.

RE: Getting Rid of Bamboo

clip this post email this post what is this?
see most clipped and recent clippings

Posted by newtie z8+ MS (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 13, 05 at 16:38

The reason herbicide fails with bamboo is that a grove is one plant with interconnected root system. The herbicide will kill the roots locally but the plant will survive elsewhere and regenerate. Try this. Cut off all bamboo stalks 4 to six inches from the ground. Fill a large oil can with round-up (12 TBS of 51 % concentrate/gal). Split each stalk once with a machete, to expose more cambium surface area, and apply one squirt of round-up to each split stump. Repeat this twice a year for 2 to 3 years. The grove will die, but you must not leave any shoots that are part of the colony untreated. The city dumped an entire load of ready-mix concrete (Don't ask why.)down a hillside near my garden. The hillside was covered with bamboo. Mulching it with 6 inches of concrete did not phase it!, but the treatment above has nearly eliminated the bamboo. The last bit is headed for bamboo heaven as I write this. Now, how do I get rid of the concrete?

Sandra so glad for you and Jerry about the new car. I am sure the newer ones get better gas mileage and as far as Jerry has to drive each day the saving will probably help pay the note. Last weekend our 22 year old suburban that we use at the camp motor burned up. Jimbo said he was going to have to put a new motor in it. I suggested since my suburban was almost 11 years old that he take it over there and buy me a newer one. It has less than 90,000 miles on it and it is 4 wheel drive. The reason we bought a four wheel drive was to be able to take it back and forth to the Island. Although my reasoning was good he looked at me like I was crazy. Oh well I guess I will be driving my suburban until it is 22 years old although I would be 72. I'm not sure I would still be able to pull myself up in it. Just hoping I outlive it. LOL

Kathy Ann Love your container I am sure it will look awesome when you get it planted. A nice excuse to buy more plants.

Charlotte the planters look amazing. I can't wait to see pictures when they are all planted and green. Glad y'all had such a good time getting together. Well I said I wasn't going anywhere because of the price of gas but I have always wanted to go to the NO botanical gardens. I have always heard it is so beautiful. I am going to go down and spend the night at Jeri's and go with her and Mary to NO. At least we can share the gas and no hotel rooms to pay for since it is a day trip. Hopefully Emily will be able to go too. Jeri says she always finds unusual plants too. This trip is not about buying plants for me. I just want to see the gardens. I am not getting any younger so I better go while I can still drive there.

I have really been working around here. All the daylilies in the pen have been dug up but not all put back in the ground.
We had a terrible log jam on our stairs to the water. We put the boat in and spent 3 hours yesterday removing those dead trees that had floated down river and been trapped. It was tough wrangling those large trees since all we had was rope. I wish we had a grappling hook to make it easier. Some of those logs had been trapped for a couple years. When the river is up it brings down more trash and it really looked nasty. We even had someone's rotted floating dock trapped in there. Any way nothing could flow through there so the pileup was getting worse everyday. It really looks nice now. I don't know how long it will stay unjammed but at least it is free flowing right now and that current is fast when the river is this high. It is not anywhere near flooding but much higher than normal right now.
first picture is the pen with all the daylilies removed. second is my snowball bush, third is Byzantine glads