Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Beginner Gardening: Dracaena Marginata advice, 3 by Jessi86

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Jessi86

Subject: Dracaena Marginata advice

Forum: Beginner Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Dracaena Marginata advice
Jessi86 wrote:
Hello all, I\'m new to DG.

In an attempt to learn more about my Dracaena Marginata and return it to its former glory I\'ve landed on this site. I spent alot of time reading online about them but its hard to find all the answers i seek (similar to my situation) in one spot. Any tips or wisdom is much appreciated.

I received this plant about 2 1/2 years ago from my mom who had it several more years (not exactly sure how long) and during that time no upkeep was done to it, nonetheless It was about 6ft tall and relatively bushy around 2-3ft wide.

I repotted it two years ago in a porous mix (forget the name of the mix I used, pic included) and the roots were all tangled and some of the soil was trapped inside the root ball. I used silverware in an attempt to pry the soil loose but i was nervous to hurt the roots so I wasn\'t able to get all of the old soil out. Was it ok to leave old soil inside? Is there a special/better way repot? Should some of the roots be pruned at that time? In the second pic, is this two trunks and is it possible to seperate them?

Last year i cut the top portion off each cane in an attempt to bring the height down some. It grew side shoots at varying times, the smallest being an inch and longest one 2-3ft, it\'s rather odd looking. The tallest one is relatively small in diameter also with minimal foliage, is that normal? Is there a way to help in the production of leaves?

Also wondering what my next step should be, repot again, seperate trunks (if possible) fertilize once in spring?
Any insight is much appreciated.