Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Beginner Gardening: Aloe arborescens or aloe barbadensis & how to keep from tilting, 3 by Lavda

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Lavda

Subject: Aloe arborescens or aloe barbadensis & how to keep from tilting

Forum: Beginner Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Aloe arborescens or aloe barbadensis & how to keep from tilting
Lavda wrote:
Hi, I have an aloe plant that is about three years old, it grew ok initially then it plopped over (top heavy). It then had some leaf problems (darker spots and got limp) for some reason. I repotted it and left it outside in summer (benignly neglecting it) and it healed, is plump and juicy, although still has some leaves with dark spots (which mostly are where it touched a plant stand I propped it against). Please let me know if it\'s a bigger issue with the dark spots.

the plant seems to grow nicely but it is heavy at the top and it tilts almost falling over. I propped it a bit but will need a better solution going forward. any advice on what else I can do would be helpful (I will also start rotating it if it turns in another direction). Am I doing something wrong that it has a stem to twist or it is normal for these plants to do that? Also, the leaves are quite long, reaching beyond the length of the pot (the reason I got this pot vs a shallower/shorter one). Is this normal or I should do smth to contain the leaf length?

when I bought it I was told that it is aloe Vera ( or barbadensis). But from some research, it seems aloe barbadensis doesn\'t really have a stem, and stays low to the ground. Could it be that the aloe plant that I have is a aloe arborescens? See attached pictures of the actual plant. Can you help me confirm its identity? It still looks like a barbadensis to me as the leaves are closely packed together, the arborescens seems to have more stem length between leaves and leaves are shorter and less heavy (the arborescens actually looks like the aloe variety I\'ve seen in Europe).

Thank you!