Daylilies: Clump Thread, 3 by virginiarose

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright virginiarose

In reply to: Clump Thread

Forum: Daylilies

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Clump Thread
virginiarose wrote:
Might not do better in a warmer zone if it is a dormant. I would not mind trying one though. I had several budbuilders that were dormant and they did almost nothing. If you get a chance check out FIRESTORM. I had it for two years and only two flowers the first year and one the next and then it died. But the color is amazing and I never see a photo that does it justice, just saying.

I need to check on Mike Huben, I think he is working on some evergreen budbuilders. :) At one point I had looked up all these and had notes but do not ask me where the notes are now! (LINK)

http://huben.us/daylily/ExtendingPart2.pdf

I am very cautious of the registered information because it comes from the hybridnizer who sometimes exaggerates or rushes a plant to market and does not let the plant mature or do any extended trials, but if they later find out that they are wrong about something they almost never change it. I have gotten plants that were registered as evergreen or semi-evergreen and they turned out to be dormant, some say early and are mid, etc.

I have plants that are registered as having 30 buds and 5 branches and I have this plant blooming in the third year and still no more than 12 flowers for the whole season! Ok, I am talking about GRANDMA'S SMILE, planted in the fall of 2012. I will not toss this one because of its beauty.

Here is one bud-builder I had in 2014 FIRESTORM. The second one is POINT OF VIEW from 2013, the third is BEAUTIFUL EDGINGS from 2013, which is supposed to be a semi-evergreen so I bought a new one recently thinking it would be worth a second try. :)

Here is a clump of DR JERROLD CORBETT. *~*