Photo by Melody
Announcements
The ability to post new threads and comments is currently off-line. We are working to restore this feature.

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: LOOKING FOR SPRING..... BROMELIADS 2015, 3 by 77sunset

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright 77sunset

In reply to: LOOKING FOR SPRING..... BROMELIADS 2015

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of LOOKING FOR SPRING..... BROMELIADS 2015
77sunset wrote:
hello everyone.
The sun is trying to shine through the clouds, but there has been showers during the night after a nice mild day yesterday.
I dont mind the showers at the moment because i just spread a bag of Dynamic Lifter around on all the pots and garden bed.
The rain will help wash it in and take away the smell. I did find some marked as low odour, so the neighboring units wont get that strong smell usually associated with this.
I notice that daffies are popping up in a lot of gardens now and the wattles are all out . They do glow in the sun, but sadly they usually bloom at this time when the rain spoils a lot of them.
My hellebores are all putting out new leaves so I am hoping for a great show as I used to get at the old house.

I am afraid I am one of those who prefers to use good old Roundup on weeds. I am always careful to never spray when there is any breeze about, but I have been using it for a long time and never had any adverse effects. Of course, I always did the garden spraying as my dear hubby was a bit too energetic with ti out in the paddock.

I have used weed mat and also newspaper at times, but i found , for me, Roundup worked best and was the easiest to use. I still use it here to keep the weeds down that persist in coming up in the cracks of the concrete paths.

I was pulling out a few stray nasturtiums yesterday and found a seedling apricot growing for some of the hundreds of seeds below the tree.
I planted it in one of the pots nearby and if it grows, I will give it to my friend who runs the hospital group. She is getting started on a nice orchard.

My broms are looking a bit dull after the wind and rain we have had. They need a good wash, but this water only leaves more spots. They will all get a nice wipe over when the weather is warm enough for me to start removing the pups.
Nothing much going on here and I am off to Hamilton again. I need more of the filling for my little felt toys.

Some more old pics today.
aechmeas...Fosters Favorite climbing up the shed wall, pretty organensis flower, gamosepala, always very pretty.

Take care and keep warm.
Jean.