Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Beginner Gardening: New to gardening and sunflowers. Need some help., 3 by dlefik

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright dlefik

In reply to: New to gardening and sunflowers. Need some help.

Forum: Beginner Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of New to gardening and sunflowers. Need some help.
dlefik wrote:
Thank you so much everyone. I would definitely like to keep an update here throughout the summer on the progress of these mammoths. I bit the bullet and decided to move some of them into the ground in the pots yesterday. Best part was we got an awesome rain storm just a few hours after I finished so they all got really good rain which seemed to perk them up quite some bit.

I'm monitoring the area where I planted them and so far so good. Nothing has paid any attention to them. I think they might just actually make it. :)

Worse case scenario if I lose some, I have several more potted ones to replace them, so it's a nice trail and error time.

Just for fun I also started some Lemon Queen Sunflowers and Four O'clocks, the tea time mix today. I was so excited to find the Lemon Queens since no place around here seems to carry those, which is weird, and I hear they are really awesome for attracting bees and butterflies.

Hope no one minds me updating this thread from time to time now. Just being a first timer with planting my own seeds, it's actually pretty exciting with everything going real good and not killing everything lol. I did lose a few seedlings though, but I figured having a 100% success rate wasn't going to be very realistic. Some seedlings just kinda laid over and wilted, but it was only maybe a couple california poppies and some sunflower seeds just never germinated.

Anyway, though I'd like to post a few more pics of my various experiments again since I'm pretty proud of them. Not even sure what I'm gonna do with all these since I just started them all on a whim with no real plan in mind. More just to see if I could do it. probably end up potting a lot of them eventually.

Sticks pretty well indicate what everything is. Got some poppies, two of which just wilted for some reason, some nasturtiums, marigolds, texas bluebonnets, convolvulus, zinnias, and there's some that I can't for the life of me remember what they are. Like a moron, I forgot to label the containers. There's like 10 little containers of them together by the Zinnias and Marigolds.

Thanks again everyone for the encouragement!