Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Beginner Gardening: Watering question, 3 by HeatherY

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright HeatherY

Subject: Watering question

Forum: Beginner Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Watering question
HeatherY wrote:
I am using a soaker hose for the first time and want some advice.
The only source of water for the garden this year is from the fawcet: it has not
rained decently since mid - late April.

If I use the soaker hose for an hour or so it still looks as if only a small amount
of the garden soil, the soil directly under the hose and maybe an inch or so beyond.
Is this true?

I have some seeds not yet sprouted, I am trying to keep them moist. I fear getting too much
water on the squash plants I have battled fungus before,

I have been doing top watering of the rest of the garden not yet covered by the soaker hose
Is this needful?( I will do it today as temps are expected to go to 85 degrees F.)

When I get the whole garden on the soaker hose, can I just time it? I will place the hose lines about one foot apart.

The other thing I do is when I anticipate not getting into the garden for two days
(like Mother's Day weekend) i put buckets of water into the low paths / ditches I dig around
the raised beds so as to give water somewhere to drain to- in case we ever get too
much water again.

Some pictures follow. Am I doing this right?
Thanks so much for your thoughts on this.

Pictures 1 and 3 have a weird perspective thing going on
making it appear that the plastic planter with the moss in it is sitting on the ground or
floating over the milk crate. It is not.

The third photo is taken from my second floor window, through the screen.

The last two photos are of water in the ditches.

Heather Y.