Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: BROMELIADS IN SUMMER ..2014, 2 by splinter1804

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright splinter1804

In reply to: BROMELIADS IN SUMMER ..2014

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of BROMELIADS IN SUMMER ..2014
splinter1804 wrote:
Hi everyone – It looks like another hot one here today; yesterday was so hot in the afternoon that I retreated into the garage for some more re-potting. It’s quite comfortable in there when it’s hot as I can open the tilt-a-door at the front and the double doors at the back and capture any air movement at all.

As well as this I have an old $12 Bunnings pedestal fan that my daughter was going to “chuck” just because the pedestal base was broken. I cut off the old base, bored a hole in my work bench and inserted the metal tube which supports the fan in the hole. I can now aim it directly where I sit at my potting bench.

Yesterday I found one of the bi-generic crosses I grew from seed and it is flowering; it’s no world beater, but in my opinion is better than xNiduregelia ‘Something Special’ which was its parent, so I’ll be keeping this along with a few other from the same cross.

Teresa – The way you spoke, for some reason I though Justine still lived in Singapore and was just here on holiday, that’s why I mentioned the beautiful brom’s and orchids grown in that country.

I remember Harry Luther who was a world expert on bromeliads before he died was the consultant for the bromeliad section of the world famous “Gardens by the Bay in Singapore”. I’ve never been there, but some of my friends have and they say it rates as another “Wonder of the World”.

If you want to get some idea of the enormity of the project, check out the 4,688 photos on the site below:
http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowUserReviews-g294265-d21491...

Congratulations “Sugar”, who’s a clever dog then? I’ll bet she’s very pleased with herself. It’s interesting when you said about how she found a cooler spot in the shrubbery. I’ve learnt from experience that if you want to find the coolest place in your house or yard, just look at where the cat or dog is resting, as it seems like animals can source these prime spots better than we humans every time.

Below is another site which all dog lovers may be interested in; it’s really worth a look.
[HYPERLINK@www.youtube.com]

Time to go and have some breakfast before another day with the brom’s and once again I’ll finish with a few pic’s of some brom’s. Today I decided to show some random unnamed pic’s I downloaded from the net; these are of a bromeliad genus called Dyckia. They certainly aren’t my favourites with all those prickles, but they do look attractive grown in a cacti garden, and certainly something a bit different.

All the best, Nev