Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: BROMELIADS IN SUMMER ..2014, 2 by splinter1804

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright splinter1804

In reply to: BROMELIADS IN SUMMER ..2014

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of BROMELIADS IN SUMMER ..2014
splinter1804 wrote:
Hi everyone – It’s nice and fine here again today and the birds singing which makes me feel lousy and very frustrated as I’d love to get out in the garden, however I can’t afford to get an infection from some type of soil born bacteria, so it’s look only for now.

Teresa – As for the tributes for Phillip Hughes, I’ve never seen anything like it, even a tribute from the Queen which is most unusual. I guess it just goes to show the sort of bloke he was a how well thought of by all.

I must say I’m not a fan of the game of cricket, but I do admire dedicated sportsmen from any sport and Phillip Hughes was certainly one of them

It was once said by the cricketing and rugby league fraternity that no player was “above the game”, well it seems Phillip Hughes was, otherwise why would they postpone the test match and interrupt football games at the sixty third minute (the number of runs he had made when he was fatally struck by the ball) as a tribute to this well respected and loved player..

Even in junior cricket, they are now changing the rules. Previously junior players had to retire when they made fifty runs, they’ve now going to change that to sixty three runs, as a mark of respect and an ongoing tribute to Phillip.

Brian – Yes I have caught the pin a few times (the one that sticks out the top) but hopefully I’ll be getting that removed soon and it won’t be a problem. The ones out the side are OK as they’re out of the way.

I’d say the plant in your picture 5 is Lambert’s Pride but it looks like it’s been grown hard in very strong light. The picture on the BCR on the other hand looks like it’s been growing in low light and its colour doesn’t look much like that of the usual plants grown here in Australia..

I have several plants of this as it’s a good grower, pup producer and very popular with people buying brom’s. I’m posting three pic’s of plants I definitely know are Lambert’s Pride for you to compare with you pant. The plants in these pic’s have been grown in various areas around my yard in differing degrees of light.

What’s the name of your plant in Pic.1, is it one of the Marble Throat hybrids? It’s a nice looking plant and one I’d certainly like to swap a pup from when you have a spare.

Well that’s about it for today as my son and his family are away for a few days and I have to go and water his bonsai plants before it gets too hot.

To finish, here's three Lambert's Pride plants, 1 is a half grown pup under good light, 2 is a garden plant in winter and poor light, 3 the same plant in spring time with improved light. Finally two new hybrids to show what Lambert's Pride is capable of as a parent.

All the best, Nev.