Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads For Novices and Addicts - October 2014, 2 by SBMLM

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright SBMLM

In reply to: Bromeliads For Novices and Addicts - October 2014

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads For Novices and Addicts - October 2014
SBMLM wrote:
Hi all,

Gone from rain this morning to a beauty of a day this afternoon. I spent most of the day re-potting yesterdays plants I bought and then had our daughter and little grandson over for dinner. Unfortunately he just missed an old steam train come through just before he got there. They sound great coming from the south as it echos off the mountain around the inlet at Koolewong.

The potting started with just mixing some Orchid mix with a bit of pine bark and perlite (bit overpriced I thought, just like crushed up styrofoam). I tried a small bit of normal potting mix in with pine bark mulch and it seemed to hold the plant a lot better. Any thoughts on whether this is a good or bad thing to do. Where does everybody get their pots from?

Nev, I ended up with a bit over 50 plants, but a lot of them had 3-4 very mature pups on them.
Like I said there was a lot still there and his wife still had to sort through that amount again.

I have a large Al. devine plum that since moving it to its current position gets sunlight from a different angle than it had before. It has started to tilt towards the sunlight, looks like it might have to be moved to a different position or continually turned. On the BCR it is listed as having a seed parent (Vinicolour) and pollen parent (Silver Plum) yet the Vinicolour isn't listed at all.

Colleen, there is nothing like a downpour on a tin roof, puts me to sleep every time.

Jean, love the picture of your Koala in the tree, it has made me tired and I might have to call it a night after that.

Some pics to finish.

1.......Neo blood spot
2.......Neo. morris henry hobbs x fireball
3...... Neo Carilinae x Concentrica x painted lady
4...... Neo Aztex
5.......Neo Cruenta (broadleaf)?

Brian