Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads For Novices and Addicts - October 2014, 2 by 77sunset

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright 77sunset

In reply to: Bromeliads For Novices and Addicts - October 2014

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads For Novices and Addicts - October 2014
77sunset wrote:
Hello again everyone. Here I am 2 days running , being able to post . I have time today as its still raining after a huge thunderstorm yesterday afternoon.
I potted my new roses in the morning so the rain will be great for them.
No hail and no wind, just rain . It wasnt over cold either which was good.
The sun is trying very hard to push the clouds away and I expect tomorrow will be a warm day.

Brian, I do find the colorful guzmanias last for months.The yellow on pictured in my last post, flowered last Jan and is still looking great. I have it here as its a mini and easy to fit in.
Lovely lot of new broms you have to play with. Lots of very lovely colors and I see a nice vriesea in the middle.

I must get new pics of vr Angela and vr Grafton Sunset as the flower stems are getting bigger.
I have the vrieseas I bought over, sitting along the raised brick in the front where they get morning sun , but not too much, They seem to be doing really well there and the azaleas I have in front will shade them as they grow.
The other broms are all at the back and get a dose of morning sun directly for a littel while then the shadecloth protects them. As frost does come a lot to this valley where the town is situated, I will have to keep an eye on the situation in the cold weather.

Nev, great to see one of your lovely informative posts . One thing about computers, you can use one finger to type.
I hope the physio doesnt get too painful but as Teresa says , its necessary.
One thing about having broms is that if you cannot get to them right away, they will happily sit and wait.
You will have lots of time whne the hand id well and maybe those grandsons of yours will be willing helpers .

Teresa, good luck with the competition today.
Yes, I think Miss Mischief has a great time regardless of what her owner wants...lol

Hello trish and Shirley.
Colleen, thanks for sending the rain over. I am assuming it was you ...lol.. as it usually comes from SA.

When I was at the house last week, there was a visit from one of my favorite creatures that always used to come.
A koala.
The people gathering the plants were amazed to see one so close as he was relaxing in the tree right next to where we were sitting, and only about 2 metres off the ground. He was so relaxed and gazed at us all with sheer boredom on his ( or her) face.
I will miss the koalas and wallabys, I used to have pop in . Also my magpies. I only have a few odd sparrows come here and I dont want to encourage them too much , although I do see them hopping around the plants getting any insects they can.

Better go and water the pots that are not able to get rain on them.
Take care everyone and stay safe.

pic 1..., a very relaxed koala

pic 2... guzmania Scarlet Lady an old pic from last Dec.

pic 3... another old pic of mini guz. Joyce

Jean