Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads For Novices and Addicts - October 2014, 2 by bromishy

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright bromishy

In reply to: Bromeliads For Novices and Addicts - October 2014

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads For Novices and Addicts - October 2014
bromishy wrote:
Hi Everyone!

Hope everyone is well and enjoying the weekend.

Today our day started off with our usual walk to the beach with the girls then we came back home and took a load of rubbish to the tip, then the rest of the day was spent potting broms, flushing wells out and giving them all a good water etc. I am very pleased with their progress so far and the large amount of pups popping up everywhere keeps astounding me so I have decided to have a brom sale next weekend just to try and off load some of the more common one’s in my collection and to try and free up some space in our back garden, the colours are great in them at the moment so the perfect opportunity to catch someone’s eye who wants to inject a bit of colour in the garden.

Tomorrow I need to do a bit of brom shuffling to tidy up some of the garden as of late I have just been putting them anywhere and everywhere but I do not like some of the areas I have chosen so need to relocate some, then the rest of the day will be potting some more and watering my vriesea seedling trays, oh and another walk to the beach first up. I also have to bake a sticky-date pudding with homemade caramel sauce for my friend’s birthday that is coming up early next week so I can’t forget about that as I won’t have time during the week.

Hi Nev thanks Joe and I are on the mend and very much enjoying the weekend playing with our broms and orchids. Hope your are well after hearing you are back one the medical merry-go-round, also I can see you have not posted these past couple of days so I hope you are ok and taking things easy when and if you need to.

Hi Jean sounds like you are very busy doing the ‘brom shuffle’ as well; I hope your sale goes well. Thanks for your well wishes for Lucy, she is much better thanks and is swimming and even jogging on the treadmill so we are super happy with her progress and that there is no long term damage to her back; in the end the vet said it appeared she had sustained a fall of some sort but I think it could have been anything really and we will never know because she can’t speak. Thanks Joe is really enjoying his holidays and even put up hanging wire in my Igloo to hand my mini’s. Sounds like you have found the perfect spot to pot your plants in the shade, one of the things I most enjoy about growing broms, time stands still when I pot and I go into a trance of some sort and keep potting till I usually run out of pots or medium or broms but that’s highly unlikely as pups are popping up all over the place like daisy’s he he. Great to hear also how well your broms have settled in showing great colour and pupping well, that’s great to hear and I am sure you are thrilled to bits. Mum said her place is getting taken over by broms and she luvs to talk about them when we speak on the weekends; I want to get her up next Easter so we can play broms together, she just needs the all clear from her doctor and then I will look at booking her a flight to come up and spend some quality time together.

Hi Brian sounds like you experienced a pretty horrible electrical storm recently, hope it did not hale without your shade cloth up and hope none of your broms or garden got damaged. Oh I just read how some of your broms got blown over, what a bugger I hope they are all ok.

Hi Teresa hope you are well, how’s everything going for you at the moment with job hunting, hope all is going great for you. How’s Sugar, is she being a good girl? Lucy & Lexi say hi LOL.

Hi Colleen fantastic to see you posting again and keeping busy by the sounds of things with cleaning all the dead leaves on your broms, I am planning to do same over my Xmas break as it is when I have the best available time to do so. How great that you found a beautiful plant you had forgotten about, it would have felt like all your Christmas’s had come at once when you stumbled upon it. What a lovely pic too of your Guzmania in flower. Sounds like you all had a great time at the lake and sure it would have cooled you all off after that scorcher day you had. How great that you get the boys to collect cans and bottles to cash in as Xmas spending money, that’s a fantastic way for them to learn the value of money. Garlic Prawns for Xmas lunch sounds delicious, can Joe and I book a reservation he he.

Hi Shirley you too are experiencing bad storms like some others here, how annoying for you that you lost power for so long too. The bad weather did not make it up this far as well as the rain we were expecting over the weekend went away, but we did get a little during the week in the evenings so that was nice and it made a bit of a difference to our lawns but boy was it muggy when the sun come out.

Thanks to everyone for your kind words about the friend we recently lost, very kind and appreciated. Brian and Teresa I just read that you both also recently lost people close to you and very sorry to hear such sad news, my sincere apologies that it has taken so long for me to pass on my condolences and wish I had read all the post I had missed sooner.

Time to head off as its 12:51pm and I want to get up early to go to the beach with Joe and the Girls.

Good Night!

Take Care & Happy Gardening!

Trish

Pic 1 - Lexi enjoying her morning coffee at the beach (she only gets a wee bit at the bottom) not good for her ticker otherwise.
Pic 2 & 3 - Neo's