Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads For Novices and Addicts - October 2014, 2 by 77sunset

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright 77sunset

In reply to: Bromeliads For Novices and Addicts - October 2014

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads For Novices and Addicts - October 2014
77sunset wrote:
Hello all.
I have been outside planting a dozen bearded iris along the rock wall beside my unit. I am hoping they will brighten the area a bit more instead of just seeing grey rocks. The rocks were covered in nasturtiums which i removed during the week. They may be great plants for wide area where nothing will grow, but are a darn nuisance with their self seeding habits and long wandering tendrils.
I also planted another rose. I used the good old Roundup along the lawn edge to make a wider area for more roses.
I also have about 20 small dahlias to go along the front . A lot of my plants ( not the broms of course) are just green when not flowering so I thought the dahlias would brighten that area up.

My broms are staring to show some nice color after the warm days we have had.
I will get out and take pics later.
Nev, your variegated bill nutans is getting a flower and a pup. It is showing lots of spots too.
I was expecting the variegation to be striped.
Is this usual ?
I like the spots.
I have placed a few broms among the roses and daisies in the front. They get sun until around noon. I may have to move them back into more shade as the summer sun gets hotter.

Nev, going back a few days, I mentioned I had a small ae recurvata.
You were kind enough to show pics and give me the right name of recurvata benrathii. On checking mine closely , it has black in the center of each small plant.
I am pleased to have an unusual one and glad I bought it with me.

Brian, great plants you were able to buy.
Like Nev, I love my neo Noble Descent. It colors beautifully and also pups well.
You will enjoy having this one.

Shirley, love your pics and I must say I like your Captain Moxley.
Hope you are feeling a lot better now.

Trish great to hear you are getting a few things done up there.
I bought a few of my cymbids with me and they do well with the broms.

The sun is coming up above the clouds now so I had better get a few things done before it gets too warm.

I still have quite a few bulbs to plant in pots so will do that then I can sit in the shade and repot my phalaenopsis babies.
I bought 2 small pots with 3 in each which need their own pots now. They are doing well on the shelf in my lounge .

Hello to anyone I missed.
Take care and stay safe.

a couple of old pics until I get new ones...neos Noble Descent and Lila
Jean.