Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads For Novices and Addicts - October 2014, 2 by splinter1804

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright splinter1804

In reply to: Bromeliads For Novices and Addicts - October 2014

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads For Novices and Addicts - October 2014
splinter1804 wrote:
Hi everyone – Well it looks like being a promising day today. The sun’s out and the birds are singing and not a cloud in the sky…….yet.

Diane – Firstly the Vr. ‘White Bands’ I posted yesterday isn’t my plant; it belongs to Jack Koning a friend of mine and a well-known breeder of quality bromeliads, especially Vrieseas. To see some of Jack’s work go to: http://registry.bsi.org/index.php

The amount of light required for brom’s varies, depending on the genera, but generally speaking they will grow anywhere, but not necessarily at their best. For instance, you won’t get good results if you grow in heavy shade as they will become long leaved and straggly as they reach out for light, and as you need light for flowers, they usually won’t flower under these conditions either. On the other end of the spectrum, some of the more hardier Aechmeas as well as the succulent types like Dyckias and Hechtias will do well in full sun, however they too will suffer damage during heat wave conditions.

The ideal situation will only come with your own experience as all growing areas are different and even just a few feet difference in the level of the land of your own block can make a big difference, temperature wise.

As a general rule I have found in my conditions here on the south coast that Neoregelias and Aechmeas will grow well at around 75 – 80 % light whereas Vrieseas like a bit less at about 60% and Guzmanias and Nidulariums will grow and flower well at 50%. As I mentioned above, there are exceptions with some Aechmeas, e.g. recurvatas which will take full sun like Dyckias and Hechtias. The thing is, “look at your plants” if they aren’t doing well, try another location; more importantly, if they are doing well DON’T MOVE THEM. I have an old rule I’ve always gone by and that is, if I’m comfortable with the temperature and the amount of light, then my brom’s are as well.

If you suspect it’s “Katydids” eating your plants, go out at night about 9.00pm with a torch and see if you can find any because this is the best time to find them.

Shirley – I understand what you say about not having enough time to get on the Brom Forum, but even with 15 minutes a day, you will become proficient in navigating your way around it and I’m sure you’ll pick up something interesting each time you visit. If I come across anything I think you’ll be interested in I’ll let you know where to find it to save you a bit of time.

They’re four nice looking plants you’ve posted pic’s of today and I’m not very familiar with most of them. Neo.’Alice Springs’ I’ve never seen before and I also find that it isn’t registered either but there’s something about that colour scheme that’s very different. There must be thousands of hybrids with similar markings, but not with that base colour of an unusual mix of pink/tomato/light red or however else you would describe it; most unusual and very attractive.

The plant you have named as Neo.‘Fury’ is very different to the ‘Fury’ that’s grown around here, ours is more the colour of the Grace Goode hybrid shown on the BCR. I doubt yours is the same ‘Fury’ that was bred by Grace Goode as it seems to me to be equally as good or better (shape wise) with more subtle colouring. Although as I look closer at your plant, it doesn’t appear to have flowered as yet so maybe that stronger colouring doesn’t come until anthesis and it will be interesting to get another pic when it flowers to compare with others I’ve seen.

Your plant of Neo.‘Vangie Go’ is more superior to the pic of the one on the BCR in both colour and shape. When I first glanced at the picture I thought it was Neo. Perfection and it wasn’t until I enlarged it I saw the greenish leaf margins. Certainly a very nice plant.

Finally the plant that gets the cigar from me for colour is what I initially thought was Neo. ‘Captain Moxley’ a beautiful plant and certainly out of my budget’s range. I was very surprised to see your next post where you say it’s called Neo.’Stellar Blast’; I’m having a bad day today, as I haven’t heard of this either nor is it on the BCR. All I can say is that if I were a betting man, I would have done my money.

I think I’ll finish here with a few pic’s of plant whose names I’m sure of. Pic.1 Ae. pectinata, Pic.2 Vr. carinata, Pic.3 In my opinion a very underrated little Aechmea. Ae. 'Chianti var. Jean', Pic.4 Ae. cylindrata and Pic.5 Neo. 'Sun King' (Red Form)

All the best, Nev.