Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads For Novices and Addicts - October 2014, 2 by bromishy

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright bromishy

In reply to: Bromeliads For Novices and Addicts - October 2014

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads For Novices and Addicts - October 2014
bromishy wrote:
Hi Everyone!

Yeah the weekends here finally and we have no plans whatsoever so it Iook’s like I might get to spend a bit of time in the garden so I am over the moon about that.

Hi Jean sounds like you have been busy buying new plants to put between your roses, would luv to see some pics when your gardens all done as the plants you have chosen sound lovely with all that wonderful colour your gardens will look great.

Pleased to hear you liked my Neo. NOID, I too wish I had a name for it but have never been able to track one down for it over the years but never the less it’s my favourite pink brom in the garden and well up there on my top of the list of favourite Neo’s.

Yes mum definitely enjoys her gardening and is in it most days doing something and can spend the whole day in it where she always tells me time stands still when she is in the garden and nothing else matters and I know exactly what she means as that’s how I feel when I am in our garden. We talk once a week and I am always astounded with how much she gets done during the week at 74 years of age, she is most definitely a very active lady who still old time dances 3 days per week and goes on the odd fishing trip with the fishing group she joined some years back; mum also does all her own home renovations and knows how to maintain her own car given the mechanical history in our family. I get my luv for gardening from her and can’t thank her enough for that and when she comes over for holidays a good majority of our time is spent in the garden together drinking endless cups of tea and chatting like little birds contently as we garden he he.

I too really like roses (especially the smelly one’s) but only have a couple in our front garden that I really need to feed as I have neglected them for some time since the brom obsession hit me some years back now; they are alive and have leaves but have not flowered in a while so I need to feed them or I reckon I will lose them over summer otherwise.

Hi Nev pleased to hear you finished giving all you broms a good drink of Seasol, they will luv you for it I am sure and something I still have to cross off my list of things to do.

How great that you’re Guzzies put of a great flower show after you threatened to take them to the tip, sounds like they got the message loud and clear ha ha.

That’s very interesting information by the vineyard manager about growing roses adjacent the vineyards which makes perfect sense. Do you have any roses growing in your garden Nev?

I like what you do with all your Cyclamens after they have flowered where you plant the pot when the plant is dying down in the fish pond, I suppose the Cyclames would feed happily off the nutrients from the pond, what a great idea to help with an even better flower show the next year.

Nev no worries I am more than happy to have put your name down for a pup of both Neo. ‘Chiquita Linda and the Neo. NOID I brought from the seller who told me if my memory serves me correctly that she had originally brought it at their local market and the lady who sold it to her said it was a NOID that was nicknamed after a friend as ‘Pretty Pink Janice’. Is Chiquita Linda the smallest Mini out there, I thought it was but don’t really know for sure?

Great pics you posted Nev; none of my Vr. Ospinae’s have flowered yet but I am really looking forward to when they do as I really like the colour of the flower they produce. Lovely pics also of Ae. Recurvata benrathii pink and purple form, I think I only have pink form but I am not 100% sure.

Hi Shirley / Teresa what have you guys been up to?

Take Care & Happy Gardening!

Trish

Pic 1 - Vr.Hieorglyphica hybrid
Pic 2 - Neo. 'Stormy Forest' (mini)
Pic 3 - Neo. 'Sweetheart' (mini)
Pic 4 - Neo. 'Franke'
Pic 5 - Neo. NOIDS that my friends friend was going to throw to the tip that I saved some years back from that ever happening.