Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: Catalpa, 2 by wingwoman

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright wingwoman

In reply to: Catalpa

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of Catalpa
wingwoman wrote:
Oh! I see. After crawling around under the tree just a little bit, I saw the culprits.
As far as questions regarding construction work around the house. It was built in the 40's a few blocks from Fitzsimons Army Medical Center, and was among those built after the war to house returning servicemen and their families. The Catalpas were there when Dad bought it as a rental property some time in the 80's. Various of his offspring have occupied it over many years. We live next door to it and are now renting it to our nephew. I'll have to have a word with the spouse regarding the suggestion. We have a soft spot for these trees, and have even had people stop by when they're in flower, to comment and ask about them. I'd assume the limbs up top should be trimmed back?
I read on Wikipedia where these trees are the sole source of food for the catalpa sphinx moth. I've not seen any caterpillars on them, but haven't yet looked closely in this 100 deg Denver heat.
Thanks so much for the keen observation!