Photo by Melody
Announcements
The ability to post new threads and comments is currently off-line. We are working to restore this feature.

Peonies: My peonies are breaking dormancy!, 2 by DonnaMack

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright DonnaMack

In reply to: My peonies are breaking dormancy!

Forum: Peonies

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of My peonies are breaking dormancy!
DonnaMack wrote:
For the first time EVER, every single onne of my peonies has broken dormancy, including the new ones and the ones I moved.

I won't bore you with a bunch of pictures of pips, but I wanted to show you the two that spent a year in a walnut bed (Mrs. FDR and Festiva Maxima from Old House Gardens - huge roots I thought I had destroyed, and Burma Joy, which did not even emerge from the soil last year because I moved it to a location that was too shady. It is a few years old, and it shows it in the advanced stage of leafiness that it is displaying.

These are actually on a shadier part of my back yard. There are openings in the trees such that these get sun all year round. Good thing, too, because I got so carried away ordering peonies this year that there was NO WAY I could fit them all in the front. They are in my front yard and parkway, and I can't put them in one long bed because of the walnut tree.

I'm thrilled.