Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: BROMELIADS FOR MARCH ....2014, 2 by 77sunset

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright 77sunset

In reply to: BROMELIADS FOR MARCH ....2014

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of BROMELIADS FOR MARCH ....2014
77sunset wrote:
Hello all.
I am taking the time to get on the computer while hubby sleeps.He doesnt sleep well at night these days so I leave him sleep whenever he wants.
Besides , it gives me time to vanish outside and talk to the broms etc.
I took a few pics this morning .The day is a dull one so the pics may look a bit that way too.
I have told myself not to buy any more broms until all hubbys doings are over as I would not want to have any plants waiting in the mail while I am away.

Its been cold today and I am already looking at how to best protect the broms.
Finally I decided to go with what I decided a week ago.
Just leave them all under the shadecloth and tack a long piece to the open side.
They will have protection from the cold south winds as the shadehouses form the south and west walls. The north is sheltered by the shed wall and that only leaves the east which does have some trees but they will be leafless in winter so the shdecloth should do the job.
Last year I had plastic sheeting covering the broms on benches in the shadehouse, but having so many more over a larger area, that is not feasible .
They should do okay as the old ones in the top shadehouse survive all year round just under the cloth.

Nev, I meant to mention that you may want to watch the little fellow I sent labelled as neo Pemiento novar.
Once I potted the others separately, they look slightly different. One has definite spots all over .
and is a darker red than the others.
Still all pretty though.
I do like all your orlandianas together. I like the speckled look they have .
I only have 2 at the moment. One is very dark and the other much lighter. They are only labelled as oralndiana so I have no idea if they have other names.
They both have pups coming .the dark one has 2 a bright dark green and the other has a speckled one. The dark one has nearly always been in the shade but the other is out in very bright sun under shadecloth.
Once the pups are big enough, I will move them around to see what happens.
Your nudicaulis are lovely too. In your pic 4 of 4 march the pale pink in front and the striped green above and slightly behind caught my eye. May I ask to go on your list for pups ?

I am looking at using more hooks and moving things around so I can hang more than just the bills. In the shadehouse with all benches, I am looking at maybe trying to find some weldmesh to put along the walls above the benches to hand a few,
What I may do is what I did on one side and also in the old shadehouse. Hubby had some long pieces of of waterpipe . I suspended a couple from the crossbeams to give lots of hanging area. I could do that if hubby lets me cut the pipe shorter. There are solid uprights under the roof beams so they will hold the weight.

One question I do have in regard to hanging plants.
I notice that some of my bills are getting tall and the hangers get in the way of the leaves.
Bill. Red Raven is a great example as he is sticking up above the hangers and leaves are being pushed out of shape.
I have no other way of hanging the pots , just the usual bought plastic hangers.

Nev, you simply must stop teasing us all with the unreachable broms from Peter Coyle.
The ones in pics 3 & 5 are particularly lovely..

I noticed this morning that my aech Reverse Ensign has a pup coming.
I am watching all my varigates to see what they produce.

Shirley, your vr Franklin Forest is gorgeous as is the neo Bakers Tiger.
I see by your pics that you are still spoiling your broms with a stay at the brom resort...lol

Cody, beautiful pics of the new foal. Baby animals are always so hugable.

Teresa, I hope all is well over there now with the water going down. Your Ellerslie pics were beautiful.
I see broms making their way into your garden now..

Trish,I hope you ended up getting plenty of rest after you big day.
Hope your mum is doing well with her broms too. Its starting to get colder down here so she will want to get winter woolies ready for her brom babies..lol.
Lovely lot of broms in your pics too.
Hope your stall idea does really well.
I've given up any idea of selling broms locally.
Too far from anywhere and people seem to think all broms are tropical anyway...

Colleen, lovely broms you have there and I hope they appreciate the rain you had that never got here..lol...
Your yard looks inviting and a happy place for the boys to play.

Hello Tash, Ian and Wendy. Sorry I couldnt reply to every thread but I do get to read them all and enjoy all the helpful tips too.

pic 1...bill Red Behemoth in front of a pretty noid.

pic 2...neo Johannis de Rolf ... a beautiful specimen . my other one has very few stripes being mostly dark green .

pic 3... vr Angela...another lovely anniesam bromeliads plant

pics 4 & 5 ... two very nice vrieseas from anniesam.... You Beaut x Milky Way and You Beaut x Snows of Kosciusko...I am sure they will mature into beautiful vrieseas..

Jean