Photo by Melody
Announcements
The ability to post new threads and comments is currently off-line. We are working to restore this feature.

Propagation: 2014 Seed Starting, part 2, 2 by Pfg

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Pfg

In reply to: 2014 Seed Starting, part 2

Forum: Propagation

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of 2014 Seed Starting, part 2
Pfg wrote:
I spent most of the day yesterday and some time today adding another tray and potting up Asclepias and Lupines, which both had roots trailing out of the 2 1/2" tall x 3 1/2" deep" pots they were in. My one A incarnata and one of the Lupines were huge, so I put them in 5" pots. The rest went into 4". To my surprise, a few of the Aslepias tuberosa had much smaller root systems, not even taking up half the space. They were in MG Seed Starting Mix, which seemd very soggy and heavy. Everything is now in Self Watering Container Mix from Gardener's Supply, which should give them better drainage. Where the roots were sticking way out. I trimmed them. Today they seem happy, I hope they stay that way, lol.
I also got Germinating Mix from GS, which looks like all peat and vermiculite. I punched a few holes in 3 oz drink cups and sowed a bunch of stuff in those and put them under the dome:

Nicotiana mutabilis Marshmallow- pink, lavender and white on the same plant, 4'
Nicotiana tabacum Red Russian- bright red, 5-7'
Nicotiana glutinosa- Peach Screamer, 3'
Nicotiana langsdorfii x alata- green, blue pollen 3'
Leonotis nepetaefolia Klip Dagga- Orange, 4' (bonus packet from Daggawalla.com, where I got the new nicotianas)
Verbena Bonariensis

One last try with the new mix, no pre-treatment, the last small batch of seeds in both cases:
Aquilegia Maggie Mae
Platycodon double pink,

I put the Deno baggies of Asclepias incarnata Rosa and Stachys macrantha back in the freezer.
Last but not least, I started soaking another batch of S macrantha in Hand Hot Water. That's it for today!