Photo by Melody
Announcements
The ability to post new threads and comments is currently off-line. We are working to restore this feature.

Shade Gardening: Need ideas for dappled shade area. , 2 by ottahand7

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright ottahand7

In reply to: Need ideas for dappled shade area.

Forum: Shade Gardening

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of Need ideas for dappled shade area.
ottahand7 wrote:
I am having cabin fever so this is a great way to think spring for me. You are probably thinking spring in Plainwell too, my family lives in Cooper Township and have spent many winters in Kazoo County growing up. I guess Lake MI almost froze over will cut back on your snow now.

If you are looking for a fast growing shrub that is MI cold hardy - Kolkwitzia - this is the plain white variety - it tops out at 15' and has this lovely weeping habit. Low care - pruning every few years to increase blooming. Next is the fern Athyrium Lady in Red - a nice cultivar of our Lady Fern. Lamium galeobdolon Herman's Pride is a non-invasive lamium that has variegated leaves and yellow flowers. There is a vining Lamium g. which can escape into the woodlands, Herman's Pride forms a clump and I have had the same small clump for years - it hasn't spread very far but it is in deeper shade.

Polemonium Stairway to Heaven is a nice small variegated plant that blooms early and provides nectar for early butterflies like the Spring Azure. It gets lovely purple notes in the leaves in both spring and fall. Finally if you can find them, Trilliums are lovely - especially Trillium erectum which I find lingers into the summer unlike the grandiflorum or cuneatum. I have been scouting them for our MG plant sale and they are available on eBay and I have also found them at Lowe's in the fall. It is a stately plant and if it gets enough moisture dappled shade is fine for them.

I have a few other favorites that I might be able to post later today.