Communities > Forums

Image Copyright missingrosie

In reply to: Moving to Greensboro!

Forum: Carolina Gardening

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of Moving to Greensboro!
missingrosie wrote:
Syru
You MISSED it this year - but Hillsborough has HOG day every year! Folks come from miles and miles and many states to be barbecue king (and queen). Then, all that barbecue is sold after the judging. There is also a hog calling contest, stages with bands ( and ELVIS --sweat on upper lip and all!) and crafts and....stuff. Downtown Hillsborough is 30 feet away if you want to look at an art gallery or buy some yarn. You can get a LOCOpop there too. Small business that sets up shop in other businesses (by shop I mean a freezer) and sells natural frozen pops on a stick. My hands down favorite is the chili pineapple. Cream based pops also - but have not tried those. Guaranteed you have not tasted these favors -- mixes with basil, cinnamon...fruits..almond milk, soy, etc., something for everyone. Owner chick has Mexican buddies and they told her they missed their cold ices and ice cream. She learned the recipes and opened a small shop..... Many shops later... We got Locopops! Not all barbecue is eastern NC. Some styles are pretty close to Texas style - chopped, sliced, shredded ( pulverized) keep trying and you will find one you like and try slaw on it. I had Lexington slaw for the first time the other day ( and the sauce on the chicken and the pork was tacky sweet with a tad of a pepper bite ) (meat had been wood smoked for 5 hrs and then finished on the grill) the slaw ....looked reallllllly shredded ( not diced) sort of like a glob of Lipton noodle shaped cabbage. It was vinegar based and very spicy and was made with red cabbage and so it looked pink. It was realllly good but as a side - not on top of the barbecue -- I like the white or yellow slaw for that. I am proud I did not have the homemade banana pudding nor the chocolate pecan pie that I noticed folks were ordering before their meal to be put to the side. Lexington has a huge festival each year and I heard the train goes there.

I will check out the roundup but I never have anything potted to share and I don't like to come to a party empty handed. But anyone is welcome to my garden to pillage!

Rosie was our 'thought she was a purebreed' pointer and she left us for a better place the day I signed up for Dave's and so she was much on my mind when I picked my screen name. She is still on my mind especially on Fridays ( my Friday buddy) my day off from work when we'd take long walks in the woods...well she walked ....I tripped.....and she waited for me to FLY up (snakes are never far in my tormented thoughts) only to trip again. I think she believed when humans are in the woods they were are very much like her -- on all fours belly to the earth.

I got this thing for stuff that reminds me of her. The small oil is from a photo of her.

This message was edited Aug 20, 2013 7:53 AM