Photo by Melody

Specialty Gardening: What do you plant in your containers—got pictures?, 2 by pirl

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright pirl

In reply to: What do you plant in your containers—got pictures?

Forum: Specialty Gardening

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of What do you plant in your containers—got pictures?
pirl wrote:
LG: Love your foxtail fern! I keep mine indoors in winter and in shade from May through October. Seems yours can take more sunlight so I might give it a try. Thanks for the positive thought with it.

1. An old copper box that has been in use here for plants, for 20+ years. Every winter I anguish over what colors I'll use. Sometimes it works out beautifully and other times it doesn't. This year I hit upon an accidental pairing as I was bringing plants to the garden and just set down a heuchera for a moment - you all know how that works out! Then I added some caladium meant for shade (but the colors did appear to match!) and then some petunias, etc. I'm enjoying how it looks now...despite my original plans for it.

2. Here's an original very old clam basket that I used to cover a vacancy I created by removing daffodils after they bloomed. I should get a better photo of it but it's nice and full now.

3. A little planter chair we bought on Cape Cod a few years ago. Yes, it's those petunias again and the green Sweet Potato Vine! Every time I go to the mom and pop nursery she gives me more of each because she knows I love them so I'm forced to find good spots for them!

4. My unplanned purple pot has been a joy and hasn't needed any additional watering since the irrigation system obviously gives it all it needs. There's plectranthus, heliotrope, petunias and Persian Shield growing in it.

5. Though I envisioned this yard sale torch lamp with overflowing plants, it hasn't yet happened due to the heat and the fact I didn't give it shade while we went to Maine! I did find the same petunia and replanted it last week so I still have high hopes for it and will report back when it's lush...probably just before frost!