Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - July 2013, 2 by bromishy

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright bromishy

In reply to: Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - July 2013

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - July 2013
bromishy wrote:
Hi Everyone!

Still windy here today but no rain; I went for my usual walk during my lunch break with some work colleagues and my bucket hat kept blowing off my head which was really annoying LOL.

Hi Ian yeah fire places are great and we always make a point of booking a cabin at the Tablelands over winter just so we can kick back and enjoy sitting in front of one with a beer or a good glass of wine while reading a good book whilst listening to the wood crackling and feeling all cosy and warm. And I luv nothing better than going to an old pub with a fire place with the owners dog sitting by the fire place like when we used to go to the Erica Pub in VIC, thoughts were the days hey.

Hi Shirley great to hear from you, hope your day improved as there is nothing worse than a procession of things going wrong the whole day as it is very exhausting indeed. Shirley fantastic pic you posted of Neo’ ‘Painted Lady’ x ‘Georges Prince’, what a spectacular looking brom.

Hi Cody thanks pleased to see you like the seedlings I posted yesterday, all the credit goes to Nev who produced and grew all these beautiful seedlings from seed and was kind enough to send me one’s he was thinking of culling. I am very pleased with them all as they are growing and colouring up really well and I hope I do Nev proud in raising them well and to their full potential.

Hi Nev thanks I can’t wait to hear what Neo’ Marble types you have as to be honest I have not checked the BCR to see how many are out there I just know I really like them because they are that little bit different with all that marbling of colour going on.

Nev I am also looking at taking pups off my Neo’ ‘Cliff Siverd’ in September as the pups are really starting to take off now so as soon as I have done this I will let you know, hopefully this will get them a little more time to establish their root system to give them a good start for potting up.

Nev thanks for providing background and another pic of Neo’ ‘Lovely Lady’ from Thai Brom Show, wow talk about layer upon layer of leaves going on and what a perfect round shape it has. I wonder how old it would be to get to that stage. Nev how long have you had your brom for? I also luved the pic you posted of the Mobile Fernery, got to luv mother natures will to survive. Now if that was me I probably would have saved them and potted them up not that I am any good at growing Ferns, I have killed most of the ferns I have owned in my life, they always look lush and healthy for a couple of months and then they start to deteriorate and die after about a year, even with all the watering and light feeds I give them so if anyone knows the secret on growing them well please let me know?

Nev thanks pleased to hear you think the Neo’ Babies are looking great, by all means I will keep sending progress pics as I want you to see how they are doing and would appreciate your feedback on how you think I am travelling with them as I want to do you proud and raise them well.

Hi Bree pleased to hear you and your daughter are on the mend. Great pics you posted of you vrieseas and how great are you’re vriesea seedling doing. I have my vriesea seedlings potting up individually in a mixture of fine orchid mix / roughly crushed charcoal / small perlite and sometime I throw in a splash of peat moss in there too depending on what I have on hand at the time. The orchid mix does have charcoal in it but I find I like to add a bit more crushed into the mix. All the seedlings that Nev sent me are also potted up in this mix and they really like it.

Hi Theresa OMG -3C predicted for you tonight, best you keep all your broms indoors with you away from the blistering cold that’s coming he he. If we had the same weather conditions here I would stress about all my broms that live outside and Joe would stress about all his orchids in the nursery and I could see us both trolleying our entire collections inside to protect them from the cold. What a funny picture that would make don’t you think LOL?

Anyway time to head off to bed - Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Take Care and Happy Gardening!

Trish

Pic 1 – Neo' 'Crayola' (pup)
Pic 2 – Vr' 'Bianca' (pup), had to have another one of of the same as luv this one
Pic 3 – Vr' 'Guttata'
Pic 4 & 5 - Can anyone identify this one for me??? Thanks???