Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - May 2013, 2 by ianperry

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright ianperry

In reply to: Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - May 2013

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - May 2013
ianperry wrote:
Hi all,
It rained yesterday so I didn't do much. Today I started to catalog my plants, well the Neos anyway. When I got to 71 the light ran out so tomorrow is another day and I will try again. Then there are the others to do as well. Much fun? I am counting my pups as I go and marking each as a pup. This I learned from Nev.
Trish I am using Maleuka leaves and have had no trouble with it except that it breaks down reasonably quickly. I would like to get Cyprus sawdust as I have never seen whiteants in it . For that matter I have never seen whiteants in any sawdust. Maybe I ought to open my eyes. Cypress would have to be imported from Injune, the cost would be prohibitive.
Shirley I have been told that to get the best with varigated pups to put the strongest varigated side of the plant facing the sun, sounds like a variation of lying the pot on its side. I really like Red Africa.
Wendy enjoy your break and have 1 for me too.
Nev my Red bird looks altogether different,close to right colour but wrong size, another case of "don't trust the label"
Tash thanks for describing the stabbing tecnique, Now I understand what Chester Skotak was doing with a albo marginated alacantarea. He only takes a part of the growth centre, what he does after this I have no Idea.
Sue I have put the Tarapotensis in full sun as I thought it could do with some good light.
Have a good one
Pic 1 Bil veridiflora X Ques heieoniana (Pinegrove lass) flower
Pic 2 Bil NOID it is too nice not to have a name.
Pic 3 Neo Moon X Fort Dix
Pic 4 N Nelson
Pic 5 N Quintesence