Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Tomatoes & Peppers: Peppers coming out of wintering-do I do anything?, 2 by Carito

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Carito

Subject: Peppers coming out of wintering-do I do anything?

Forum: Tomatoes & Peppers

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of Peppers coming out of wintering-do I do anything?
Carito wrote:
Hello everyone. I have some pepper plants (Aji Amarillo's from South America). They make about a 5-8" inch long orange pepper when ripe. Anyhow I covered them over with plastic this winter so they wouldnt die or freeze from the few cold spells we had. Well they are doing great. They are getting BIG.

I am curious though. Should I have cut them back and let them sprout out again? They don't seem to be flowering all that well and one of them has gotten tall as opposed to bushy and i dont think has any flowers on it. I have been fertilizing. Tried some Superbloom. I've never done this before. I always just planted more seeds with everything else. The 4x4's in the photo are a little over 5' high. I have to say they did make a few peppers this month. The peppers though only grew about a half an inch then turned orange!!

Do you guys have any suggestions? Should I cut them back to a little above the lowest leaf sprouts? I added some photos :-)
Thanks