Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads for the novice and addict. April 2013, 2 by bromishy

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright bromishy

In reply to: Bromeliads for the novice and addict. April 2013

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads for the novice and addict. April 2013
bromishy wrote:
Hi Everyone!

Hi Nev great to hear Ailsa is doing well, say a BIG HELLO from all of us!

Nev that’s interesting what you say and the links you kindly forwarded about “variegated” Ae’ ‘Mirlo’. I have Ae’ ‘Mirlo’ and it is now producing beautiful pups. The “variegated” one will have to go on my wish list for some time down the track.

Hi Shirley thanks what a great idea about mulching around broms pots that get splashed with dirt etc, I will do that for mine under the avocado tree, just a width of mulch to keep the dirt at bay from splashing up onto the pot and into broms until either to grass grows or I get pebbles in or something?

Shirley yeah that was Neo’ ‘Gray Nurse’ that you liked in pics 17/4 and 18/4. Shirley pleased to hear you liked all the pics I posted of my pups, the following brom pups you asked about are: 19/4 Pic 1 (pinkie Neo’ to the right) is Neo’ ‘Grace, she was coloured beautifully like that when I took pups off mum. 19/4 Pic 3 (coloured one f/r/h/s) is Neo’ ‘Midnight Madness’. 19/4 Pic 5 (larger variegated one on right) is Neo’ ‘Margaret’.

Shirley your Pic 2 of Neo’ ‘Paradise Point’ that you posted a pic of on 19/4 is lovely, such a nice peachy looking colour, looks good enough to eat. Shirley good to see your rescue broms like I do and great looking pups you got off her. It is pretty with its variegated leaves and the mother looks like it is trying to colour up in the centre. Shirley thanks for posting a Pic of your Neo’ ‘Jaws Too’, I think it looks different to my Neo’ ‘Grey Nurse’ though, what do you think?

Hi Sue pleased to hear you got the bonfire lit and the last of the storm rubbish gone. It is always a nice feeling to get something out the road that annoys you and now you don’t have to think about it anymore.

Sue that car incident was not too scary because I had to get straight into action mode with reversing of our car and tooting at the crazy lady, then I just got very angry and annoyed and hopefully shocked her back into the real world when I yelled at her, hopefully she learnt something from the experience in not being an idiot when on the road and endangering people’s lives.

Sue thanks no parcel yet so hopefully Monday? Thanks ever so much for going to all that trouble. I will let you know as soon as the parcel arrives. Sue thanks also for keeping me a pup of Neo’ ‘Zonata’ for down the track, whenever. Sue that’s no worries about Neo’ ‘Grey Nurse’, I was just pleased you had tried identifying it for me. The seller I had got it from had told me the name at the time but it did not have a label and by the time I had got home I had forgotten, then when I asked everyone on this forum you jogged my memory on what the lady had told me initially, that its name was ‘Grey Nurse’. I would be interested to see the Pic of the immature ‘Grey Nurse’ when you get a chance to post a pic, no hurry. I will also go in and have a closer look of what Neo’ ‘Jaws’ and Neo’ ‘Jaws Too’ look like for comparison?

Sue you made me shiver when you said how cold it is for you guys in the morning now (10deg), sounds like it’s time for the winter whollies to come out of storage LOL. Sounds like you have a fire place, there is nothing nicer than sitting in front of one with the sound of wood crackling, a cup of hot chocolate and a good book to read until you fall asleep – sheer bliss.

Sue nice pics you posted, looks like you have heaps of room for broms in your nice Agave garden to add a splash of colour.

Hi Jean thanks and pleased to hear you liked pics of my brom pups. Sounds like you are all ready and organised with your pups for the trash & treasure sale and I hope you sell them all to buy more beautiful broms. It is always a nice feeling shopping for something new to add to our ever growing collections. How you do fantastic at your sale.

Jean congratulations on your seeds germinating, isn’t it a great feeling. I spent all day today sowing trays of Neorgelia seeds and fertilising my tiny Vriesea seedlings. I also had a visit from a good friend of ours who collects Broms and we spent a good couple of hours this morning just talking broms. The rest of my day was spent watering them and yesterday I spent the whole day taking pups off broms and weeding garden beds so the weekend was a great one for me.

Hi Ian great start on your Bush House, by the looks of the pics you posted you accomplished a great deal, good on you. Look forward to seeing more pics as you go. Ian I too have had someone from a nursery ask if I want to sell some of my spare broms but I don’t think I am at that stage yet because a lot of my pups are the first from each of my plants, unless I have been fortunate enough to get more than one pup off a brom which happens on some but not on all. For now I am content keeping some for me and swapping when I can.

Sue thanks just saw the Pic of Neo’ ‘Grey Nurse’ (what a beauty) thanks, I am going to post a pic of mine when it is fully coloured and hopefully this will help identify it better and see what everyone thinks then? Sue luved the garden reno shots, they are awesome!

Anyway time to head, sorry I had to rush this thread so hope it makes sense to everyone?

Hi to anyone else looking in or on the Sick List.

Take care and Happy Gardening!

Trish