Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Mid-South Gardening: Chinese Wisteria Revisited, 2 by Lily_love

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Lily_love

In reply to: Chinese Wisteria Revisited

Forum: Mid-South Gardening

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of Chinese Wisteria Revisited
Lily_love wrote:
Charlotte, here is to your little wisteria. I'm with you on the memory thing... I remember I purchased mine a little over 10 years ago. It was about that size. I too got it from one of the box stores back then.

I believe, I planted that small vine into the ground. A couple years later I moved it when we moved to a different house/garden. When I noticed the little thing was putting out under ground roots (and the roots were spreading far and wide). I finally dug it up and potted it back then. In brief, leaving the vine in a small pot. It will restrict its growth, but one can control its invasiveness. The 'trunk' will not enlarge over the years however. Here is one example. I've trained two of these in pots for years...over 6-7 years now. I loss one due to improper pruning, and watering. This one survived, and just marginally grew over so many years. This is one of the Asian wisteria. Japanese wisteria. Its blooms are more like the American wisteria which is purple. But the inflorescents are bit longer than its counter part. Look at the two. See how the left one stays small and compact. The right one's trunk has thicken over the years and "became" a tree-like wisteria. Happy gardening.

1. The Japanese wisteria in a bonsai training pot.
2. The Chinese wisteria today.