Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Perennials: when to sow, 2 by warriorswisdomkathy

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright warriorswisdomkathy

In reply to: when to sow

Forum: Perennials

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of when to sow
warriorswisdomkathy wrote:
Hi , am doing Delphs now...Here's some pix, germination is about 2 weeks , some less., surface sown. They should bloom the second year but there are exceptions. I am growing D. grandiflora chinensis (1rst year), 12-18", reseeds; D. elatum 'Guinevere' Lilac/white bee (2nd year) 4-6ft.; D. e. Blue/dark bee (2nd year) 4-6ft.; D. e. Dark blue/white bee (2nd year) 4-6ft; D.e. Hybrids (2nd year) 4-6ft. mix colors; D. e. 'Galahad' (white) (2nd year) 4-6ft; D. requienii (1rst year or biennial), this one is new for me, blue 3-6ft.

If you grow from seed just keep an eye on them thru the summer, just make sure they get enough water...Very rewarding to see them come into bloom the second and subsequent years.......Bloom is early summer ( late June-ish for meon the tall varieties, if cut back they will produce a second set of blooms tho much shorter. The grandifloras (12-18") will begin bloom in late spring and continue to frost if deadheaded (remember to allow some reseeding, they will make a patch), they are available in several blue to purple shades, white and pink. Another variety I've grown is D. belladonna, 3-5ft., these have their flowers more spread apart on the stems and many more stems than the hybrid elatums and longer lived, mainly in white and blue shades. Sorry no pix on those, am thinking I need seed for these again... Wish I had pix from my previous garden cuz they were gorgeous!!!!

Any other questions be glad to help...Kathy

I started my seeds under flourecent lights toward the end of Dec. When they are large enough I pot them into 2 1/2" x 2 1/2" inch pots till I can get them hardened off in spring and plant them out....

Pix 1: D. g. c. (144 plus more in another tray)
Pix 2" Mix of those listed above
Pix 3: One I grew from seed, the cage is for the deer