Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads for novices and addicts - Jan 2013, 2 by ianperry

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright ianperry

In reply to: Bromeliads for novices and addicts - Jan 2013

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads for novices and addicts - Jan 2013
ianperry wrote:
Hi all, Just another hot day at work and a light shower when I got home. I potted on some more seedlings possibly a bit early but they will grow. I needed to thin out some of my seed trays and maybe cull some now. Before xmas I threw 4 trays of seedlings into the front garden, some are still growing with almost no attention. Hardy little buggers.

Shirley, I show my best results and keep the others hidden. Some plants grow quicker than others. Like my grandson each seedling needs feeding often, small doses and often. I also like to give them a lot of fresh air. I lift the lid every few days and assess the moisture content, if I think they need more I water them with whatever I have mixed up, Seasol or Condys chrystals or just plain water. If they look too wet I leave them to dry out for a day and then reassess again. I have no drainage holes in my seed containers. For the first month I water my seedlings with Miltons only.

Nev I am using 1 gram of dolomite per 1 litre of mix, if I remember Mike suggested 1kg per 1cubic metre of mix There is talk in this town that we are getting a Masters store here soon. I have seen the new building being erected but there are no signs to tell who it belongs to as yet. Soon they will get to a stage where they can paint it and then more will be revealed.One can live in hope. This new store will be a more suitable location than Big W.
Pic 1 N bills gift
Pic 2 N Bantu
Pic 3 N Barbarian
Pic 4