Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS - NOVEMBER 2012, 2 by ianperry

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright ianperry

In reply to: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS - NOVEMBER 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS - NOVEMBER 2012
ianperry wrote:
Hi all, just another windy day, started overcast but the wind blew away the cloud cover.Also it is blowing a few of my plants around. I have had a tidy up in my seedling area, still have my crypts there but this is tempory storage while I find where they like best. I am guessing that like other genus some will have different likes and dislikes. I think I am using my seedling area as a hospital at the moment but soon i won't be able to do that. I still am using the upstairs for starting thing off.
With growing crypts I am using higher moisture holding mix than I use for neos and I hope this gives me better results. Some are doing better than others and they all need more fertiliser than most other broms or so I have been told. I am still experimenting with them and the sun here is burning a lot of plants if they get too much. I have also noticed that more light can change white into red, especially with Crypt It and Ti.
A question about quilling and what to do about it. The plant I am referring to is Ae fasciata primera in pic 5. Is this quilling or some other form of mutation. The parent plant has none of this deformity but about half of it's pups have. Any suggestions.
Have a good one
Ian
Pic 1 N tricolour perfertor
Pic 2 Seedling area/ hospital
Pic 3 Alacantarea vinicolour Hawaiin red flower
Pic 4 Al vinicolour Hawaiin red flower spike
Pic 5 Ae fasciata primera with distorted leaves.